1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flatwounds for a 6 string bass.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by domportera, Jan 2, 2012.

1. domportera

domportera

Mar 2, 2011
    I play a long-scale (though I think standard sized strings could fit) 6 string Schecter Stiletto, and I'm considering buying flatwounds for less fret clatter and a new tone.

I play heavy metal, how do you think roundwounds would fit in?

Also, what strings would you suggest? I'd prefer not to spend much over $50 or $60. I've seen TI JF346 Jazz Bass strings, flatwounds, that are over $100, and that's way too steep.

thanks in advance!

2. I put Chromes on my 6-string last week. Great tone and feel.

YMMV of course!

3. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    I really like the flats that I got through Carvin for my sixer ...made by GHS and pretty reasonable in price.

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    GHS, Labella, D'Addario, Rotosound, and TI all make flats for the 6-string, although you may have to buy the B and C strings separately.

5. domportera

domportera

Mar 2, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. but do you know how they would sound for metal music? I don't want them to cause me to be inaudible

Rotosound 77's seem most likely at the moment

6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Why are you wanting to use flats to play metal?

I wouldn't recommend them, unless you end up in a situation like Steve Harris where the guitarists EQ well enough to stay out of your sonic spectrum. Otherwise, you're almost guaranteed to be buried in the mix.

7. domportera

domportera

Mar 2, 2011
    I figure change would be nice, also less fret noise is a nice thing to imagine.

If what you're saying is true, I think I may abandon the idea

8. veribass

veribass

Dec 4, 2011
    Mississippi
    Rotosound 77's are a good string, not as bright as a roundwound but they aren't dull sounding, to me anyway. Out of my range on the metal and 6 string parts, might can get some more tone if you use a pick. That's what I do on my basses.

9. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    The TI jazz flats are worth the dough. They last forever, and get better after breaking in.

Treat yourself.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The type of strings you use doesn't matter nearly as much as your playing. If you want to use flats, use them...you'll be fine.

11. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I've been using Ken Smith grounds on my Bongo6 and they're fantabulous.