Flatwounds for a six-string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by noelpaz, May 11, 2005.

1. Just got a Made in Japan Yamaha TRB-6P. Was cheap and I got it reluctantly. Can you get flatwounds for 6 strings. I don't know if my bass is 35 scale. My local music store does not carry them.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Somebody in the Strings forum probably knows. Moved.
  3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Carvin sells a 6-string set of flats. I've got a barely used set, but they we're on a 34" scale fretless. I could sell them to you cheap, but I have no idea if they'll fit on your 35", if in fact it is 35". I usually cut them so they only wrap 1 1/2 times around the post.

But anyway, check out the Carvin site.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I use both SIT and D'Addario groundwounds on my 6
  5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    noelpaz, measure from the nut of your bass to the 12th fret. If your measurement is 17", your bass has a 34" scale. If the measurement is 17-1/2", the scale is 35". That said, I think those TRB's are 35", which makes it somewhat harder to find strings. I have Carvin flats on my 34" Tobias, and the silk clears the nut by about 1/4" on the B string, so it would probably overhang the nut on your bass.

If it's 35", the TI flats will also overhang the nut I believe, at least on the B string.

Usually you can call Labella on the phone, and talk to a real live person. They could probably tell you if their strings will fit right.

Actually, as I'm typing this, I just remembered Status Graphite. They also have flatwound strings, and list a "speaking length" of 37-3/8" inches, which would probably work pretty well on a 35" bass. www.status-graphite.com.
  6. Thanks -- I did not do the 12 fret to nut measurement but from the bridge and I have a 34. Where is the best place to get Labella or TI strings. I really like flatwounds as I want to get away from the guitar like tone on the high frets