1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flatwounds for Fender Highway Jazz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basssoundbass, May 10, 2010.

1. basssoundbass

basssoundbass

Jul 19, 2009
    UK
    What flatwounds would suit my Fender Highway Jazz Bass.

This is an earlier model Highway Jazz but I have upgraded the Bridge to a Leo Quan.

It has always had roundwounds. Recently I replaced the strings on my old Squire Precision fitting D'Addario Chromes XL Flatwounds.

I have really converted to the flatwound sound and enjoy the playability.

Thanks

2. ajunea3

ajunea3

Feb 14, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    La Bella flats. Best I've ever tried. I've got a set on my Jazz Bass (with Badass II bridge).

3. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    I like the D'addario Chromes best, I believe they're the most universal flat. (I've tried a lot)

4. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Any flats available will suit it. People have favorite strings just like they have favorite basses. They'll all work. There have been quite a few "what strings are best for [insert specific bass make & model here]" threads lately - I don't get it. It's like asking what topping is best for a pizza.

Yeah, it sucks that bass strings cost so much more than guitar strings, but all you can do is try one brand of strings, and if you don't like them you try something else.

5. russellmania

russellmania

Mar 25, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I use chromes on my MIM Jazz with a Badass II. They have the most comfortable tension IMO.

6. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    I prefer the Fender Nylon Tapewound 9120's. They're dark and thumpy with just a hint of brightness. Really low tension. They feel good. They last a long time. They're inexpensive. They're a bit on the bright side when new but they settle in really well. They're also the only Fender string that I've ever cared for. However, as another poster said, you're just going to have to find a set that you like and you may try several sets before you find one that works for you. I know that this could lead you to spending a substantial amount of money but it will be worth it when you find that string that just works well for you that you'll use for years.

Some other highly touted flats on this board: GHS, TI, DiAdario Chromes, LaBella

7. basssoundbass

basssoundbass

Jul 19, 2009
    UK
    I think I will take my set of D'Addario Chromes off my Precision and them on my Fender Highway Jazz. I have in the meantime ordered a set of TI flats and will put thm on the Precision when I get them.

It will be interesting to see how the TI's compare to the Chromes.

8. MK1

MK1

Nov 23, 2009
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I have RotoSounds on my Highway On Jazz, I also used the Ernie Ball flats. The Rotos are a tad brighter, but I think they sound better with the bridge pickup than the Ernie Balls did.

9. JerBo

JerBo

Jul 25, 2009
    ATL
    +1

70's Jazz Bass, BAII bridge. I've been playing Chromes exclusively for years and just put the LaBellas on and they are WONDERFUL.

10. elzeder

elzeder

Mar 19, 2010
    europe
    +1 on the labellas

beautiful feel and great uprightish kinda tone especially on the d ang g strings, but those two can be a little something to soft tension for my liking but you get used to it and they sound so much better than higher tension rounds IMO

11. I strung my Jazz with Sadowsky flats. Simply Awsome.

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Obviously, you have a lot of choices. In my opinion, you can't decided based on what others tell you. Start with something new. Buy two brands that you have always meant to try, but haven't yet.

Yes, get 2 different sets. You can learn a lot by switching between two different sets at the right time. Put one on and carry the other as a spare. Switch them after the first set is broken in. Once the second set is broken in, switch back to the first ones.

You will know immediately which you prefer, you will still have a set for backup, and your knowledge will include experience with the less preferred set.

13. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    TI flats on a passive jazz are great. So are Sadowskys. And I suspect Labellas would be great too but I have only had them on a P.

14. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    wise words.