1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flatwounds for Fender P-Bass Junior?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sammy Camden, Dec 24, 2006.

1. :cool: Anyone here have any experience with different strings for the Fender P-Bass Jr? Fender makes a special set for this bass, but their roundwounds. I'd like to know if anyone has tried to adapt any shortscale flatwounds to it and how'd it work out. Thanks for the info!:bassist:

2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Doesn't Fender make a short set of their flatwounds?

I'll go check around.

Hey, how do you like that bass? I was always curious about it, and I haven't read many comments on it.

Where is it built?

3. :cool: The problem here is not that all of these companies don't make short scale bass strings, they most certainly do. It's that the P-Bass Jr is not a 30" bass. It's a 28.59" bass, almost 1-1/2" inches shorter. So I was wondering if anyone had used 30" flatwounds on a Jr and if so, how'd they work out. Thanks.

Oh, I haven't bought one yet, I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on one, though. Hence my interest in the flatwounds. Oh, it's built in Mexico.

Thanks.:bassist:

4. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    D'Addario ECB81S Chromes fit the P-Bass Junior perfectly. I think the fact that it's strung through the body makes up for much of the difference between 28.59" and 30" in scale length. No need to worry about the flatwound portion getting wound onto the tuners.

Best regards,
    Lou

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I wish they still made that bass.

6. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    ^Yeah, I want one of those little monkeys too. :(