1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flatwounds for Hofner

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Johnny Alien, Mar 27, 2009.

1. I did a search for this and I know the popular flats for a Hofner. Pyramids, TI, and LaBella.

I would like to go TI as I have used the flats before and like the lower tension however all I see listed for 32" TI strings is a .106 E and that seems thick for a Hofner string.

So for all of you that have used these...does it make a difference? Wouldn't it make it higher tension than a .100 Pyramid string?

My goal is to get a nice low tension set.

2. brachal

brachal

Jan 7, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    I think physics demands that a fatter string would have to have higher tension to produce the same note. I've never played a Hofner, but I used to put RotoSound Tru-bass tapes on my EB-3. They've got a .115 E -- looked a little frightening at first, but worked like a charm.

3. The LaBella Hofner flats are fantastic strings. They will make that instrument sing!!!! BTDT with a Rogue violin bass - those strings made an amazing difference. I don't know (or frankly) care if they're low tension, they're great.

4. Well I prefer a lower tension flat. I have used TI's before and loved them and was looking to them primarily but it jsut seems like they would be higher tension in the 32" version than the full scale version.

THe LaBella's are steel strings correct? I have never played steel flats. Are they brighter? Do they still damage frets?

Is the Labella .96 set the better of the two? (The other is a higher gauge)

5. Understudy

Understudy

Jul 14, 2008
    Thomastik-Infeld makes a set specifically for the Hofner: JF324H

Here's a link.

As the E string is only 0.096", I suspect it will be lowish in tension.

Darn expensive, though. :eek: