Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatwounds in the Toronto Area???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lefty_400, May 18, 2005.

1. lefty_400

lefty_400

May 18, 2005
    This may sound crazy, but I am having a hell of a time finding flatwound strings in the stores in and around Toronto to put on my fretless Jazz bass (bought it used and it came with Roundwounds that are chewing up my fretboard).

I get puzzled looks and stupid comments from store staff that range from: "They don't make those anymore..." to "Flatwounds are outdated ever since Roundwounds Dude...", etc. Gotta love the genius music store staff...

Anybody know where they sell 'em around here, or am I going to have to go the mail order route and get them from the US? (Will places like Musician's Friend ship strings to Canada?)

Can you guys offer me any help?

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I don't know about their international pricing/shipping policies, but you can't do better than JustStrings.com. They've got virtually any make & model you might want or need. And the prices are very reasonable - even with shipping costs factored in...

Just the same, if you're able to do business with them, you might consider stocking up by ordering multiple sets at a time - just to make it as cost-effective as possible...

MM

3. Gyoon

Gyoon

Nov 12, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    When I went to Long and McQuade on Ossington and Bloor they had sets of D'addario Chromes for sale. Pure Flatwounds.
    Also, I believe clubbass on Ossington and Queen sells Sadowsky flats, although I have heard that they may not carry them anymore.

I hope that helps.

Glenn

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I live in Toronto and 90% of my string purchases in the last three years have been juststrings.com. The Toronto stores are all poorly stocked with choices. Factor in that if you phone ahead to enquire you usually get an idiot who thinks bass is a fish.Believe it or not though, you can sometimes get TI Jazz Flats at George Heinl on Church St. I buy my upright strings there and because they have TI URB strings they sometimes stock TI electric strings.But call first. If they're out of stock they wait up to a month to make an order. If that's the case then, again, juststrings.com is a better choice.

Good comment on the "Roundwounds dude" experience. I'll not soon forget the day I told a guy at one these stores that I was putting Flats on a Mod Q5. His facial expression suggested that he thought I was a complete moron. My guess is he was a drummer!