Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatwounds on a Fretted?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KeithBMI, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Yes

77 vote(s)
    96.3%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Here is a simple question, is it a bad habit to put flatwound strings on a fretted bass? Whenever I go into a music store looking to get some flatwounds, the salesperson always has to argue with me. Is there a problem with the salesperson, or is it a sin to put flatwounds on a fretted? :(

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Ask the salesdood what kinds of strings he thinks were on the original Fenders when they were made. (Hint: *not* roundwounds.)

The salesperson is wrong. There's nothing inherently wrong with flats on a fretted if that's the sound and feel you want.

3. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Not only do I have flats on a fretted, I have them on a Modulus Q5 fretted. I think that is sacriledge to many Modulus/Zon owners. I really like what flats do for my Q5.

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I use flats on my p-bass, but then that's nothing out of the ordinary.

5. That sales guy is an idiot...

If my memory is correct(Im young so Im going by what people have told me, And what ive heard) Damn near all basses came strung with flatwound to about the mid 70's. Fenders, Rickenbackers, Gibsons, And all the other little companies, Used flatwounds on their basses, Im not sure when Roundwound started to show up, But Im sure it was sometime in the 70's when roundwounds started to become popular. Hell, Some 70's Rickenbackers only like flatwounds, Some Ricks, Dont do well when switched to rounds after being used with flats, But ive only heard this with Rickenbackers, They are "iffy" basses.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Your salesmonkey is an idiot.

7. Put flatwounds on your fretted bass now! I just tried it after years of resistance and I really dig 'em. Got 'em on a fretted J and a fretted P. Your sales guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

8. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Flats play nicer, too. Smooth and slidey.

9. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I play with flats on my fretted Jazz and it plays like buttah.....what are you waiting for?

10. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Flats on fretted basses are all I play. :cool:

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Sales guy is a moron. Tell him to shut up and get the strings you asked for, or you'll get them someplace else.

12. Alright! Time to try out some flatwounds! :bassist:

13. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I'm happy I found this thread :) May I ask why many people say flats on fretted are bad? I was thinking of buying my first set of flats tomorrow for my Fender, but saw how many people don't agree with that setup, and i'm curious why that is?

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Because they don't like them. I would tell any salesman who refused to sell me anything to shut the hell up or I will never shop there again.

15. vashts80

vashts80

Aug 9, 2005
    I personally like flats better for picking. Roundwounds don't give me that sound I want, not to mention it's annoying hearing a "clickity-clack-clack" type noise from picking on roundwounds. They're excellent for plucking as well, and much easier on your fingers imo.

Rounds tore my fingers apart, then a day or two later I put my older flats on and my fingers didn't hurt at all anymore when I played.

16. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    awesome :) what do you guys suggest for a nice warm fat tone? Fenders? they're going on my 70's p-bass and they probably need to be a well known brand and type because the only music store around here is fairly small :(

17. If anything, the opposite is true about flats on fretted. Flatwounds are smooth and rounds are course (but you all knew that). the Courseness of a round wound will eventually grind your frets and fretboard. I have been playing flats on all my basses for years. Love the sound they give.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fenders or LaBellas. They're pretty much the same. You can get nickel or stainless steel, but after about a month or two they sound pretty similar so I don't think that matters a whole lot.

19. lefty

lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    love `em. just put some on my warmoth bass. (fretted)

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats. If you haven't heard the name of the company, don't worry -- they're very well known as makers of violin/cello/double bass strings in addition to their (excellent quality) electric guitar and bass strings.

Warm like butta.

EDIT:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193595
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195170

Believe me, if you search, you'll find more topics about these things than you can even hope to read. Those two were just a couple pages back here in the Strings forum.