1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flatwounds on a Rickenbacker 4004L?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dangerwr, Nov 1, 2006.

1. dangerwr

dangerwr

Jul 25, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    Greetings,

I recently got me a nifty new 4004L Laredo (JetGlo). Would attach pictures if I could only take them with my crappy camera :rolleyes: .

Anyway, I have heard that a lot of people like to use flatwounds on their Ric--is this true? If so, what do people use?? I hear of people using D'Addario chromes but have always hated their strings. Any thoughts???

2. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    My 4004Ci has rounds (for now) but the Laredo has LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats, the LK has Chromes and the Cii has Pyramids. I like 'em all. Nice even tone with strong fundamental and mellow overtones......the tone is certainly still Ric and can easily still sound "angry" but along with the stock HB-1 p/u's the lows really come alive.

It's had to say how the brands differ since each bass differs. I gave the Chromes a shot first since I could get them at a local store (and they were relatively inexpensive) then ordered the other sets online. I guessed one string set would be my favorite but, as of yet, there is no clear leader. It's well worth a few bucks to give a set a shot (IMO).

rickfamily14.gif