Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flatwounds on a squier p

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by glwanabe, Apr 27, 2003.

1. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    tell me about using flatwounds on your squier p.
    I just got a set of SD, QP's and would like to try some flatwounds. I have read that some have very high tension. How did your neck react. My bass is an affinity series, i have not had any problems with rounds, but would not want to spend the bucks to turn my bass into a bow.

2. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Get some TI's they sound really good and are low tension

3. Davygravy3

Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    my neck warped like crazy, even started to turn left near the top. they werent fender flatwounds, i dont remember whos they were actually

4. common problem with regular flats.
    Not a problem with TI JF344.

5. DeepThought

DeepThought

Dec 31, 2000
    I just put a set of the Steve Harris Rotosound Flats on mine, adjusted the truss rod approriately and they're fine. These things have more tension than an Enron Executive on the witness stand. They're a great combination with the Quater Pounder pickup.

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I went with TI's on mine. Sounds great and you will love the low tension.

Dan

7. DeepThought

DeepThought

Dec 31, 2000
    I guess I just like 'em tight. TI's = Too floppy, no fun. My point was that even with just about the highest tension strings on the market a Squier Afinity's neck should be just fine if you adjust it correctly. Don't forget to flex the neck as you do it so you don't just compress the wood under the adjuster.

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Why would the neck even warp to begin with? If they're the same tension as the rounds you had on previously, I don't see any problems. I put some ernie flats on my Samick after using ernie bass slinkies for 5 months and I haven't noticed a single problem (I've had the flats on since March).

9. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    why would the neck warp? I have heard from some others that there full size baseball bat necked P-basses had troubles with neck warpage with some of the flatwounds out there.

10. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I put D'addario Chrome flats on my Fender MIA P-Bass, neck warped a bit.. I never actually went out and bought a truss rod tool :eek: so while anticipating going to my friend's house the next day to borrow his tool I put it aside, the next day when I was going to bring it over, the neck was FINE! :p dunno what straightened it back out.. maybe the strings stretched out a bit

11. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    got the Fender 9050's, with the SD/QP's I have on there, these sound great! I did have to adjust the
    truss rod, but everything looks good, relief wise.
    I've had this bass for two years now. I have made several mods and continue to tweak a little here and a little there. Although I "want" a new better precision, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this one. In fact the only bass that I have picked up and played in the stores that spoke to me was a Geddy jazz. It is amazing what you can do with a good Squier affinity and careful planning

12. DeepThought

DeepThought

Dec 31, 2000
    We seem to have very similar basses. My Squier with a 1/4 Pounder is working out great. I compared 9050s and Rotos back and forth for about a month and settled on the Rotos. I couldn't get happy with the Fender's G string. I think the Rotos have a better sound for rock, too. Plucked softly near the neck they give a good mellow "wump" plucked hard right behind the pickup you get a nice aggressive kick in the pants, whip out a heavy gauge pick and you can punk out. Sounds pretty good using a pick on "Roundabout", too. I don't think they sound godawful slapping either. More like Larry Graham.

If you get those big cables moving it really rumbles.

13. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    Mr. Deep thought,
    Yessir sounds quite alike. Actually My mods consist of,A shielded cavity with new pots,SD/QP's, gotoh 201 bridge.
    I have tried Fender7250's, Roto rs66's,GHS b52 boomers,and the standard GHS boomers, and now the Fender 9050's.
    I play rock, Maiden,Rush,Zep...Like I said this bass is handling everything I throw at it. A new pickguard is gonna be my next aquisition. You could call this my homemade Steve Harris P. love it.