Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatwounds on a Steinberger?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Monkey, Sep 10, 2000.

1. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Has anybody tried them? I had a very hard time finding flats for my Steinberger Spirit 5-string fretless, but I finally found some at JustStrings.com. LaBella makes them, so I ordered a B string and a 4-string set. I got the B string right away, but had to wait a couple of months for the set. My D string broke right away, but LaBella sent me another one, which also broke. I ordered an adapter so I could use regular strings, but I've been advised that the allen screws on the adapter will probably break the windings on flat or tapewounds. Does anybody have experience with the adapters for Steinbergers? Do they work with flats?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    When I bought my Steinberger (an original Pre-Gibson XL-2), it came with two sets of strings: The double ball roundwounds on the bass and a set of regular flatwounds with were all connected to the adapter thingie. The bass is currently set up as a piccolo bass with D'addario strings and the adapter. I can't say I've had any problem with string breakage, and the Piccolo strings are pretty tight on the bass.

Will C.:cool:

3. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    So the flats worked fine with the adapter, huh? Cool...
    Thanks a lot, BW!

4. GeoMiklas

GeoMiklas

Apr 23, 2013
    So I have purchased a Hohner B2AV 5-string Steinberger Copy. I have played tapwound all my life, and the roundwounds just shreaded my fingers the first day playing the new bass.

So I went to ebay and bought a set of tapewound strings and an adapter. AFTER buy-it-now on both items, I contacted La Bella and D'Addario to get their scoop on double ball vs. single ball with the adapter.

La Bella told me that the adapter is known for crimping flatwound and tapewound strings and advised against it. They went so far to tell me to mix a 4-string set of double ball tapewound with a single flatwound B string.

So I was lucky and was able to cancel the buy-it-nows before they shipped. And I'm back to placing my order with Just Strings for the S660L set plus the S505B.

Any fast opinions before I place the order tonight?

Thanks,
    George

5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    you should just get use to rounds if the flats are problematic. ;) gl