Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatwounds on a Stingray?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Grilli, Nov 15, 2001.

1. Grilli

Grilli

Nov 12, 2001
    I was wondering if anyone has tried flatwounds on a Stingray and how do they sound.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I am sure that there is a place and time for everything, but the idea of putting flats on a 'Ray seems sort of the fire and ice thing. The collision of two opposing forces.

You would be, IMHO (I have to put that in or some TBers get mad) negating the very properties of a 'Ray that make it desirable. That bright, aggressive bite that is so well known.

You can always give it a try. I would guess the properties of flats would be just as obvious on a Stingray as they would anywhere else. Slower attack, "swelling" notes. Round tone.

Depends on what kind of stuff you play, I guess.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I run Lakland flats on my fretless Stingrays. Just the tone I want.
    Doc

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    But fretless is a different animal.

Chas

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

At one time the bassist from Sublime/LBDA used them on his G&L 2000.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Simon Gallup in "Head on the Door"-era The Cure used a Stingray, and I got the feeling that he used flats. He plays with a pick and pumps up the treble though, so he still gets that Stingray twang, just a bit different (kind of dry).

And, I think the 'Ray has a pretty substantially different low end than the J or P (it's a lot fatter, to use an incredibly subjective adjective :) ), so if that was what you were interested in via flats, I don't think it would be counterproductive.

7. ooooh boy, I've been waiting to see a thread like this.

If you're interested in hearing flats on a 'Ray 5, check out the band Lake Trout. Not only are they one of my favorite bands, but I love the bassist's tone (for the style of music anyway). He's using Fender flats on a 'Ray 5 through an Eden Metro with a D-210XLT extension cab.

8. bb77

bb77

Oct 13, 2001
    don't waste $20

9. that's interesting- the sound on songs like "sinking" does seem like it could be flatwounds.
    but he was definitely using rounds on his Stingray on the "Kiss me" album onwards eg. "the Perfect girl", a hundred hours" (albeit with a lot of chorus).

in the 94 BP cover story on AC/DC's Cliff Williams he says he used D'Addario Chrome flatwounds on his pre-EB Stingray when recording the Ballbreaker album.

10. didn't john deacon ever play a 'ray with Rotosound flats?

11. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    I'm in agreement w/Chasarms.......

I tried out TI 344's on my 95 'Ray........
    ...and to me, it kinda robbed the Ray of some of the qualities that I use the Ray for.....Funk/Slap ..

.....but..this is JMO ;)

Peter

12. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    thats like putting pickles on yogurt! get yourself some Ernie Ball slinkies quick! :eek: Theyre the only strings you should use on a ray.

13. Ernie Ball just sent me a free set of slinkys... if you regester your bass, they give you one. Of course I bought mine over a year and a half ago, but I registered again just to see... sure enough, got 'em in the mail today.