1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flatwounds on an ACTIVE P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jaywa, Apr 23, 2009.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Anybody running this, or has in the past? Do you like the sound?

Reason I ask is, I am hopefully adding a StingRay HH in the next few months and at that point was thinking of switching my 78 P from roundwounds to flats. So I would have one bass with flats and one with rounds which could come in handy since I play in a variety of bands and have to cover a lot of styles depending on the gig.

Does this seem like a sensible approach? FWIW the pickups in my P-Bass are a PJ set, EMGs from the early 90s.

Thanks in advance.

2. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    By all means try it. The "P with flats" vibe does not pertain only to passive basses.

You may find you want flats on the Stingray, too. Maybe the punchiest bass/string combos ever. :)

3. brachal

brachal

Jan 7, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    I have a set of Fender flats on my P-bass ... active EMG from '86. Really nice, warm sound. Not too bright, which is sometimes a problem with that bass ... active, maple fretboard. I play it fingerstyle ... rock, punk rock. Love them. I think you'll be surprised and happy.

4. chasfur

chasfur

Feb 14, 2009
    Elkhart , Indiana
    im a novice so bear with me. does this mean slap is a no go when using flats??? see I'm a huge flea fan. all chillipeppers all the time...any other tips on flea sound. I know that another thread all together. any advice helpful

5. chasfur

chasfur

Feb 14, 2009
    Elkhart , Indiana
    btw I'm the owner of one killer new active p deluxe black n maple

6. brachal

brachal

Jan 7, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    Nothing beats a Black and Maple P-Bass. Nothing.

If you want to slap, I'm pretty sure you should stick with rounds.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Nonsense, you can slap flats just fine, it just sounds different, that's all. Same with active basses and flats, it's just one more voice in the arsenal. Great sounds in both cases, just a bit different than the same old stereotypical sounds people stick to usually.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    My only active bass is also the only one wearing flats. Great combination.

9. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    I have been using flats on my stingray for awhile now, once my bullet is put together I'll probably throw rounds back on the ray and put flats on the bullet just for variety, but it certaily works fine on the stingray.

10. Jluckie3

Jluckie3

Mar 14, 2008
    endorsing artist Lakland basses
    hey if you have ever heard nate edgar from john browns body he plays a five string lakland with flats that sounds incredible