1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flatwounds on Ibanez 1200

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Feb 26, 2013
    Nashville
    Anyone with an Ibanez SR1200e (or similar) bass have flats on it?? The stock rounds to me seem way too bright (plus they really hurt my fingers after a while.) I know that my 1200e is rather dark sounding, but I love flats, and the rounds seem tonally brittle. How was the experience. Did the tone become round and rich, or did it turn the thing into a sonic mud bath?

(Note:please no "I hate flats" comments).:p

Thanks, Bassdude15

2. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    ;) I hate rounds :spit:

I'm using Ernie Ball flats on a cheap Ibby GSR200EX. I don't see why flats would turn a bass into a sonic mud bath. Many flats are quite bright. If you are used to playing rounds with the tone pot rolled down, you'll have plenty of room to find that sweet spot. I think Chromes are a good choice as well.

3. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    I have a set of Detroit Flats (WebStrings) s/s mediums, and they cover a pretty wide tonal range, are not 'muddy' at all,
    and really help bring the fundamental to the front.

4. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I would try Chromes on there. The light set would be a good start.

Not muddy at all.

5. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Feb 26, 2013
    Nashville
    How about Fenders?

6. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    I just put a set of Fender 9050L's on my MIM Jazz.....warm goodness....not muddy unless I want, turn up the treble.. on the bass &/or the head...bright enough no sweat...been 2 weeks , love 'em so far , I hear they will get better

7. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
  8. If you want a nice balanced set, the Labellas Deep Talking Flats is a good choice too.

9. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    I had two sets of 9050's two years ago. I didn't like the feel, nor the tone. I'm quite sure there was a problem with those strings. I kept tuning the A string till it broke. The second set had a problem with the A as well. It hardened after a while and became hard to play. I also remember the stiffness of D and G. They were way to stiff and the tone was way to thin. Maybe I wasn't lucky, but I'll never buy them again.

10. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Feb 26, 2013
    Nashville
    Higher tension than Rotosounds?( Had them on my Bronco. I was fine with the tension.

11. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Yes, I think so. In case of 9050's I'd call it stiffness. That, in my opinion, expresses not only the resistance to fretting, but the 'fence-wire-like' feel at the strumming fingers as well. On the other hand, the feel is very personal, I guess. By the way, I experienced Rotosounds as quite flexible, but didn't like the tone. The E didn't quite match the others, I recall.

12. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Feb 26, 2013
    Nashville
    But the Fenders are only $21 @ my local GC. The next cheapest strings suggested here, the GHS Pressurewounds, are $28.99, and I don't like their guages. I have mixed feelings about Rotos, and Chromes are either too bright or a dead, muddy thud IMO.

13. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Feb 26, 2013
    Nashville
    Oh and by the way, what gauge of Fenders are you talking about? I am considering the 50-100's.

14. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Oh, I totally forgot to mention the gauges. Yes, they were ML's, so 50-100's indeed. Normally I play 45, 60, 80, 105 if it concerns standard tuning. I modified my Ibby for BEAD tuning, so that makes 60, 80, 105, 130.

15. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Fenders are my favorites, and then Chromes. They're both pretty bright, the Chromes having more upper midrange grindiness and the Fenders having more growl and extended treble.

16. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    I guess I had bad luck with my 9050's. One broke and D and G felt like fence wire. :(

17. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Feb 26, 2013
    Nashville
    I have VERY strong fingers; I broke the D-string of the Fender 5250XL's on my Bronco once. :bassist:

18. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Getting 50-100 flats pretty much guarantees the D/G feeling like fence wire compared to the E string.

19. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Yup, tensionwise they are way out of balance. I've never understood why. :confused:

20. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Feb 26, 2013
    Nashville
    :bassist:I've pretty much decided that once my Swing 66's that I put on last night(already had them; could not stand the stock strings anymore) go dead, Im gonna try the Fenders and see how I like them( tension usually isn't a problem for me; plus they seem like an inexpensive approximation of that "happy medium" between definition and warmth).