Flatwounds on Modulus Q5?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MtnGoat, Jan 18, 2001.

1. MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    Has anybody out there tried flatwound strings on a modulus quantum 5? I have used the Dean Markley 2000s to date and have had no problems, but I am just curious. The Modulus is quite bright to begin with so I am interested about the sound using flatwounds.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I would suggest trying Thomastik Infeld Jazz flats. They should compliment the Modulus nicely.

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR

Do you know if the Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats will fit on a 35" scale? I do know that their website just mentions a 34" scale (long scale), only.
  4. I've just ordered a six string set, and my bass is pretty bright, so it will be interesting to see how they go.
  5. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Sorry to butt-in Bassmonkee :)...

J/J You CAN get the JF364 (36") set: 44 57 72 96 . But then you're stuck for a low B.
    Maybe the B from a JF345 set (136) would work. Then you could put the remaining
    four (43 56 70 100)* on one of your Fenders so it wouldn't be total waste?
    That is a helluva hop though, from the E (96) to the B (136).

* (this is a JF344 set)
  6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Notduane, thanks for the tip but Holy Smokes that's over $100 just to put together a set. And you're right that is quite some jump from 96 to 136.

I've got an idea. If we as a collective group email TI maybe they will make a few set an inch or so longer. Just a thought. I wonder if they sell single B's???

Thanks again!
  7. notduane

Nov 24, 2000