Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatwounds on Modulus Q5?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MtnGoat, Jan 18, 2001.

1. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    Has anybody out there tried flatwound strings on a modulus quantum 5? I have used the Dean Markley 2000s to date and have had no problems, but I am just curious. The Modulus is quite bright to begin with so I am interested about the sound using flatwounds.

Digs

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I would suggest trying Thomastik Infeld Jazz flats. They should compliment the Modulus nicely.

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Bassmonkee,

Do you know if the Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats will fit on a 35" scale? I do know that their website just mentions a 34" scale (long scale), only.

4. I've just ordered a six string set, and my bass is pretty bright, so it will be interesting to see how they go.

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

J/J You CAN get the JF364 (36") set: 44 57 72 96 . But then you're stuck for a low B.
    Maybe the B from a JF345 set (136) would work. Then you could put the remaining
    four (43 56 70 100)* on one of your Fenders so it wouldn't be total waste?
    That is a helluva hop though, from the E (96) to the B (136).

* (this is a JF344 set)

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Notduane, thanks for the tip but Holy Smokes that's over $100 just to put together a set. And you're right that is quite some jump from 96 to 136.

I've got an idea. If we as a collective group email TI maybe they will make a few set an inch or so longer. Just a thought. I wonder if they sell single B's???

Thanks again!

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000