Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatwounds on my new P-Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FatCity, May 15, 2002.

1. FatCity

FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    I currently have flats on my Yamaha BBN4 and have fallen in love with the feel and sound. I just bought a new P-Bass and want to put them on it as well. It comes with Fender Super Bass 8250M, .045, .065, .085, .110TW (Taperwound E). Am I going to have to change the setup to accomodate the flats? Should I string them through the body or just regular through the bridge (I don't have that option with the Yammy)?

Any help is appreciated.

FatCity

2. Since the E-string that comes with your new bass is taperwound, you'll probably have to lower the E-string saddle a bit, which is quite an easy thing to do, when you put on the new strings. Then you'll have to intonate the bass, but that is standard procedure when putting on new strings, anyway.
    Depending on the tension of the new strings you put on, you might have to adjust the neck as well, but not necessarily. I put really low tension TI Flats on my P-bass, that had some high tension kind of stainless steel roundwounds on when I bought it, and I haven't felt the need to touch the neck at all.
    And when it somes to stringing through the back of the bridge or through the body, try both and see what you like the best. You'll probably notice some difference in feel and tone, even though it might not be radical.
    Good luck.

3. FatCity

FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Thanks for the replies!

FatCity

4. I couldn't agree more.

5. FatCity

FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    I ended up getting a set of Ernie Ball flats (50-105), they were the only flatwounds that I could find localy. They sound great-thanks for the suggestions.

FatCity

6. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    What's so great about these strings anyway? Do they lend themselves to a particular style really well? Are they bright for flats? Can they still cut through the mix like roundwounds? Have I asked enough questions?:)

7. To begin with, they're low tension strings. Some people find it hard to adjust to their soft feel, but I just love it. It makes them super easy to play.
    They lend themselves to any style requiring flat wound thump. Blues, rock, r'n'b, funk, you name it.
    Yes, they are quite bright for flats, still I haven't heard a string sound warmer or fuller than the TI Flats.
    As to whether they cut through like roundwounds, I don't really know, since I've neither gigged or recorded with my P-bass, but, since they're flats, they'll probably supply more of a solid, cushiony, foundation than a sharp cut. But, as I said, I don't really know.
    Hope that answers some of your questions. :)