Flatwounds on single-coil P or split-coil P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EmaTheMirror, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Single coil P/tele

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. "The" split coil P

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Carrots

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  1. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Between flats vs rounds, split vs single coil, and fretted vs fretless, the correct answer for the minimum number of P basses to cover things is actually 8.

Hmm - what about alder vs swamp ash? If you believe in tonewoods, then 16.

Rosewood vs maple? Again with the tonewoods. 32.

andare and Texican like this.
  2. bradd

bradd

Jan 27, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    TI Rounds are heavenly on a SCPB. The flats aren't bad either.

3. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Uh...I didnt.

marchone likes this.
  4. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Oops, missed it. My bad!

5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

... T.I. flats on my '51ri Precision ,
    loaded with a Lindy Fralin Split-Coil Single .
    i love the tone !!
    ... click ...
    IMG_2697.JPG IMG_2708.JPG IMG_2700.JPG

Heavy Blue likes this.
  6. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK
    Did the Fralin get into the cavity with no problem at all? My Bare Knuckle's larger than the Japanese pickup (apparently like Leo's original pickup) and gave me a bit of worries at first.

(the Bare Knuckle vs. a SD SCPB3 the day I received it)
    IMG_20170308_104812.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

... well , if you look closely you'll notice that the cavity had already been squirreled with a bit ,
    especially at the bottom
    :atoz: ,
    but the Fralin fit into the original cavity with no problems .
    ... don't know how handy you are , but someone suggested that you might use a Dremel tool
    to resize the pickup {rather than cutting into the body of the bass } to make your Bare Knuckle fit ...
    good luck !!
    IMG_2715.JPG
    :cool:

8. For me, flats on the SCPB, old rounds on the split.

9. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK
    Yes, I see it's a bit chipped in the close-up
    I read a thread here of someone going that route (or at least working on the pickup, presumably not with the right tools) and botching the same Bare Knuckle. He quite obviously ended up with an unreturnable, irreversibly damaged item.
    Bass-wise, I only had to sand off 1 or 2 mm of the upper flat side of the cavity (the one underneath the pickguard too, and it was mainly finish rather than wood) to have just about enough room to insert the pickup. You can hardly tell anything even with the cavity bare open.

On top of that, when I managed to fit the pickup and solder it, the icing on the cake was finding out that it was completely silent :bawl: Tester reading: zero.

I called BK and they told me it could have been a cold soldering on the pickup - they can shrink, to try and reheat the solderings at the eyelets: that was the issue.

10. Good few year back another lad met the same fate only it was with a Seymour Duncan.

Lad bought a PB-50 from Thomann with the intention of swapping out the old Wilkinson pickup for a Duncan.
    Words of caution were given, A/B recordings were made, imagined gains were inquired about.

All to no avail. Duncan was bought, found to be too big, bobbin trimmed and pickup installed.
    In no time he discovered he hated the SD tone and preferred the Wilkinson :banghead:

Lad was gutted :(

EmaTheMirror likes this.
  11. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK
    I'm quite surprised he was even able to hate the tone from a broken pickup.

Anyway, what Duncan was it? The custom shop deep one with stacked bobbins? That does require a neat dremel job to make it deeper.
    But the "standard" SD are an easy fit for the Japs, you can see the quarter pounder side by side on my previous photo.

(Good pickup that single coil quarter pounder though, in itself. Never tried the more well known SPB3, which seems to get way more love on vendors' descriptions and mag reviews than here)

12. @EmaTheMirror

What broken pickup ? The lad just trimmed the bobbin.

marchone likes this.
  13. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK
    Without breaking the winding then... That's a major difference to the story I read.

What did he not like from the SD tone? Was it the stacked coil one, a la ZZ TOP? I've usually read good things about it, besides the price tag.

14. Different fella altering a different pickup and a different outcome.

The pickup he bought was the SCPB-2, which he described as "lacking character".

15. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK
    I thought the SCPB ones were direct swaps for the CIJ, unless the previous owner altered the SCPB3 I have now as a spare.

I've always wondered about how the "hot" windings of the 2nd Duncans affect the character/three-dimensional quality of the tone. I know what they do frequency-wise, but what I mean is that I've never tried them IRL to assess them in context. I'm adamant to assume they might not be the most balanced choice for flats, for instance, going back to the OT

16. I couldn't find the "Both" button so I didn't vote. My favorite flatwounds are La Bella DTF's, got them on both my P basses.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    kodiakblair likes this.

17. Ron had the greatest sound, Rotosounds, Tele bass with a Marshall Major head, killer sound. His original bass was for sale in England someplace a some years ago, it was advertised as a "man's bass":laugh:. Listen to the end at about 2:45, no never mind listen to the whole thing.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    marchone likes this.
  18. marchone

marchone Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    I once read that when Beck told Wood he had to play bass Woody didn't own one then. So he stole a new Telecaster from a London shop.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  19. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I do not want to sound braggy. Actually, I sound stupid. I own 26 bass guitars. 100% of them have flats. NO ROUNDS! And about 90% have TI Flats. Back when I strung 'em TI's were only about $45 a set. Still steep.

Most of my basses are Ps. And, 5 of them are SCPBs. (4 slabs)

Favorite P Bass for flats? ALL OF THEM!

Oh gee, is that a 1953 P Bass? You bet! My #1. (TI Flats) The "best" gets the "best".

DSCF7819.JPG

20. Could be, the one for sale was a 68 I believe.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021