Flatwounds on Zon Custom Sonus 5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TMWPB, Feb 17, 2005.

1. TMWPB

Mar 1, 2004
    Portland, Oregon

I had a set of Zon Ultrasonic stainless steel string on my Zon, Sonus Custom Fretted 5 string, for about a year and I really liked the tone on the high strings but the low strings were getting a bit muddy. I changed them to a new set of Zon ultrasonics and the tone is a bit to ringy(zingy?) for me.

I've been researching flatwound strings for a while now. A lot of the reviews are talking about the sound of flatwounds on passive basses, like P-basses, but not to many talk about active basses or graphite neck basses.

Some of the flatwound strings that have been catching my attention are the D'addario Chromes and the TI Flats. The tension might be important seeing as how Zon's don't have truss rods. And how about the ball ends, the Zon has a quick release bridge.

If any body has anything to say about flats on an active fretted bass with a graphite neck.

Thank you TB'ers in advance for anything replies,
  2. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've tried flats on my Modulus Q5 several times with some interesting results.

I love the tone while playing alone/practicing however I find the tone too thumpy and not enough punch to cut through the band mix in my electric bass gigs (Funk/Classic R&B/Motown) (my ears of course).

I also play upright bass in a Jazz trio and never play electric gigs in this group. But if I did play Jazz on electric I would put flats on the Q5 in a heartbeat. It has a a nice Jazz vibe to it. That's Jazz music not Fender Jazz Bass.
  3. tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    I just put Labella flats on my Zon Custom 5 and I'm very happy with it. I tried the expensive TI strings and a few others and honestly the LaBellas are much better....

I've had them on for about 2 months now and they are still great.
  4. TMWPB

Mar 1, 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Thanks for the replies.

Which La Bella flats did you use and did you have to make any adjustments to the bridge?