Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatwounds Please

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, May 2, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Ok guys I got a MM Stingray that I love to play but I wanna mellow down the bite it has, so I wanna try some Flatwounds. I play mostly punk and metal and Im real interested in seeing how flats (played pick and finger style) would sound in these genres. I hear good things about TI flats, but I have no idea where to get them. So if all you flatwound guys and gals out there would be so kind to recommend a set of flats that you think would be nice for what I'm lookin for, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. You could always contact Mr. Sadowsky (www.sadowsky.com). He has two different gauges available for both 4 string and 5 string, as well as an XL set for 5 string.

I think they give you what you are looking for in a typical flatwound, with a little more clarity on the low end. They are also very nicely finished.

La Bella tape wounds would move you even further to mellow. I am a big fan of them.

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the input and yes it is hard to tame the growl of EB basses Lovethatbass, but you gotta keep in mind the Sterling is a different animal to the Stingray. I've heard flats on a ray is amazing so Im just curious

4. Give them a try

I played an SR-5 and had a Sterling but never played a standard Ray. The SR-5 and Sterling were alot alike except the number of strings and the neck width.

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Will do. Yes the SR5 is acctually more like a Sterling, same electronics, just different number of strings and body styling.

6. I put TI Jazz Flats on my MIA Jazz Bass...hey...didn't even sound like a Jazz Bass anymore...more like a P bass...sounded good though.
    I went back to Elixer Nanowebs for a bit more versatility.

7. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    Recently, I've put flatwound on my P-Bass. I don't remenber which kind but it gives me a real Larry Graham sound on funk thumping. I couldn't believe it, not harsh sounding, but deep tone!! I love it.