Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flatwounds that are looser in tension

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Aug 11, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    its common that flatwounds have high tension. i love d'adarios. its all i play actually. but im looking for a flatwound that isnt tension high. shoudl i just get a thicker guage? or what. i use a zon so i dont have the truss rod to adjust action. which in all honesty is fine by me. what do you all think?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    in order of tension high to low...

SIT Powerflats
    D'Addario Half rounds
    TI Jazz Flats

the first 2 are groundwounds the last flats.... maybe one of those will suit you :bassist:

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Thinner gauge strings will give you less tension. But really, you should try the Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats. They're very low tension and I think they sound great. They're spendy, but worth it IMHO.

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

i have been using the d'addario ground wounds. i like them because they have that flat feel but round sound. but on the same token the dont have enough of the flat sound. ill have to check out those TI jazz flats.

hmm. i thought that thinner strings increased tension. but dont they also give you a brighter sound because they are thinner? ill look into the thomastiks as well.

thanks guys.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    the SIT are a little tighter and a lot thumpier. Pretty cheap too. I've got 2 basses with sets that are over 2 years old and the still sound killer.

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    dang, 2 years. worth looking at.

7. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

TI Flats, they seem pricey but are actually a bargain. They sound better with age and last a LONG time. We're talking years and years.

The low tension is addictive too!

8. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Thomastik-Infeld jazz flats. The only reason I'm not currently using them as I got a few bad E's in a row but I'm betting it was just a bad batch and I'm ready to dive back in. The A-G strings impressed me that much.