Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatwounds that Meshell Uses

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any info on what flats Meshell uses on her jazz??

2. Bass Player had a little blurb from her a couple of months or so ago. Said she was using Labella mediums if I remember correctly.

3. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Another article (Bass Player as well IIRC) said she had a set of TI flats on her old Jazz.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I just looked at the article in that recent issue of BP, and it's medium LaBella flats. I can't imagine her using TI's. TI's are so not her sound.

5. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I really thought there was an earlier BP article that indicated she had TI's on the jazz. Used to be able to access archive articles online but can't seem to now.

6. smoothoperator

smoothoperator

Jun 2, 2009
    Meshell uses La Bella 760QM Quarter Wound

7. 6stringbassist

6stringbassist

Jul 9, 2007
    UK.
    How do these differ from the other LaBella flats ?

8. JTE

JTE

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    And in at least one interview I read she said she didn't know what was on the Jazz bass because they'd been on there so long.

John

9. smoothoperator

smoothoperator

Jun 2, 2009
    They're warm like flats but ones that you can still slap. They have a fat bottom yet clear top. More modern sounding than my 760FL's. They are the best pairing with a Fender Jazz imo. Flats are better suited for a Precision.

10. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    +1 I remember a few interviews where she said she's had them on so long that they're either Fenders or LaBellas; she can't remember which. If I remember correctly they were on the bass when she got it.