Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flatwounds with more sustain? Heavier flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by psi, Jun 22, 2005.

1. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I'm looking for some flatwound strings that are heavy like roundwound strings but smooth like flatwounds. All the flatwound strings that I've used seem to weigh less. If they were heavier it'd produce more sustain, right? That's what I'm basically looking for... flatwounds with much better sustain than the nylon Rotosounds and the chrome D'Addario flats that I have.

How do Stainless Steel Flatwounds sound?

Thanks

2. Goatrilla

Goatrilla

Jun 21, 2005
    I posted earlier today about D'Addario Chromes, their amazing! If you want a heavy, smooth string, if you need sustain, but dislike the hum that a good deal of flatwounds make, these are what you want. They sound bright, thick, full and round. I seriously believe that you have no way of being disappointed by them.

3. Goatrilla

Goatrilla

Jun 21, 2005
    I re-read your post, only to relize my dislexia. what is it taht you dislike about the chromes? I can give you only one other recomendation. Fender made a black flat wound, it's covered witha linnen like cloth, their tight, and it creates sustain, but with the price of a buzzing on the higher frets. Its the opposite of your idea of heavier is better, but it works.

4. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I agree with the Chromes suggestion.

I put some on my fretless SX when I first got it and I wasn't happy with them at first because they still were somewhat bright and clanky, but once they broke in and deadened up a bit I fell in love. Just got through putting another set of Chromes on my fretted Jazz bass to get rid of the finger noise and get a bit more mellow tone. IMO they do seem to have a bit mroe sustain than the previous roundwounds.

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Try Lakland Joe Osborn Flats. They have a nice tone, but I think Chromes are a better bet based on your requirements. I think if you could tell us what you disklike about them we can give you better answers. Fender also makes good flats, a lot of people like them.

Dan

6. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Well, I just dug up my flats and put them on my Spector. It sounds better than I remember it to be, but it's still a tad too dull for the sound I'm trying to get.

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Try D'Addario Half-Rounds or some other form of ground wound. Essentially they are rounds with a smoother surface. Not as thuddy sounding as a flat.

8. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Heavier-than-normal flatwounds would be the LaBella Original 1954 set aka the Jamerson set. I've tried those. Rotosound Steve Harris signature strings are also supposedly really heavy flats but I have no personal experience with them. D'Addario Chromes also come in a variety of tensions.