1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flatwounds with TOO much tension?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tryxx, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I defretted my bass, was getting all ready to string it up, and I started. The E goes fine and perfectly in tune, as does the D. But the A and G strings would NOT tune up, and then the tuners...gave out. They don't work anymore, I'm guessing they're stripped. I can't see how I did something wrong since it worked on two other strings, but I'm curious, does this happen?

I've since got a fretless Corvette, and if I restring it with some Rotosound 77's, I don't want the same scenario happening.

2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Thomastik-Infeld jazz flats.

low tension

amazing sound

'nuff said :cool:

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    What kind of bas was the other one? Cheaper tuners can give out with high-tension strings. The A and G just may have needed more tension than the tuners could provide.

4. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    The bass was lower end ESP LTD, B-204FM. Kind of glad to know that it just wasn't me...

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, as long as you weren't tuning over-pitch, then it was definitely the tuners. Some tuners use a higher grade metal in their gears. I wouldn;t put high tension flats on my american jazz bass because the frames for the tuners are plastic, but the are plenty strong for regular strings.

6. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I know I didn't tune over pitch, I always keep my tuner plugged in to watch. It just got to a point where they wouldn't go anymore. I'll be careful though, thanks for the help! :smug: