1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flatwounds without taper (on headless bass)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thirtyhz, Apr 23, 2018.

1. thirtyhz

thirtyhz Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2001
    I recently acquired a beautiful NS Design Radius CR5. My string of choice has been Sadowsky Flatwounds however the taper on the B string goes over the nut (remember it’s headles so strings are reversed) Has anyone modified taper strings to work around this or have nontapered flatwound suggestion. Note I also have Chromes, and TIs are out. Thx!

2. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Cut Fretboard 1.JPG Well, since no one else has said anything... I don't own a 5 string bass at all - much less a headless one. So, I don't really have any good recommendations, except to measure the distance from the B string's ball end to the nut, and ask Jason at Bass Strings Online for some advice. He posts here often as SLaPiNFuNK; he usually has the answers to questions like yours. This is my only headless bass; an old Kramer Duke. My problems are a just a little different from yours; i.e., finding strings I like that don't have silk at the ball ends. And that will fit the guitar tuner holes that the Duke has. I think I'd PM Jason, and see what he recommends...:thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018