Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Steve S, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I recently purchased a set of flatwounds from DAddario (sp). The cloth on the strings go over my nut. It still sounds good but are they supposed to do that?

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Did you get the right scale length? Is there a kink somewhere in the string? Is it a string thru body or bridge? Take a look at these first.

3. Yes, it's probably the scale length. This happened to me once when I mistakenly bought short-scale (30") strings for my medium-scale (32") Squier P-bass.

4. bubblysax

bubblysax -----cut here-----

Aug 2, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    I use D'Addario ECB80 flats on all my basses. On a couple of occasions I have had to slightly cut back the material to get a clean fit over the nut. Don't worry, not all 34" scale basses are the same from string end to nut.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    It's a long scale string, going through the body of the bass. No kinks on the string. The fabric on each string goes over the nut but it sounds very good. I've never used flatwounds so this is kind of weird.

6. You're fine...just take a razor blade and carefully remove the excess silk.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    OK..thanks..

8. 6pack Jon

6pack Jon

Jul 6, 2006
    Queens, NY
    I've had the same issue when I started using Chromes a month or so ago on a few on my P Basses. Heard the make a extra long scale. But who wants to wait around to have strings delivered. As stated above you can cut the excess away.

9. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    6pack Jon,

I know what you mean..when I want the strings, I don't want to wait for them either.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

You know, we do have a Strings forum.:meh:

11. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    OK..thanks! I'll look at that site.

12. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, you need the "super-long scale" for through-the-body stringing generally, but if cutting the silk works- do that!
    Karl Zickrick

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021