Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Marcap, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Im fairly new to bass and i was thinking about putting flatwounds onto my Fender 60's classic Jazz bass. I play all blues motown and classic rock.
    Do I have to get my guitar setup in any way or do I just slap them on like any other new set of strings (also if i dont like them do i have to do this when they come off)?
    Also as long as I dont get stainless steel ones will they cause any more wear on my frets than roundwounds?

Thanks for the help!

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It really depends on if you get the same guages as the strings that were on there. I recently put flatwounds on my MIM Jazz and didn't have to adjust the string height, but had to adjust the intonation a little. The intonation wasn't that far off, so I played it for a couple of days to make sure I liked them before doing the adjustment. You could do the same, then if you don't like them just switch back without making any adjustments.

Flatwounds should give you less fret wear than roundwounds.

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    What Showdown said, except that having to adjust your bass depends on what flats you get for your bass. The Joe Osborn Signature flats have quite low tension, where Rotosound Jazz 77 -flats have very high. I put Rotos on both of my basses and they required about a third of a turn on the trussrod to make them stay as low as rounds I had on them.

4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    What everybody else said and they are easy on your frets.If your playing blues and Motown with a vintage instrument, flats are definetly the way to go

5. Thanks for the advice im gonna try them next time I can get to the store. Also how are the ernie ball flatwounds? Ive used their strings before and they were ok.

6. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    Anytime you change string type or gauge the intonation will need to be checked. Generally I find that I can play with lower action using flats - mainly due to their higher tension. I have NO experience with low tension flats and I doubt if I would like them. I don't like "floppy" strings.

I think the stainless would cause more fret wear than nickel wrap, but not enough to warrant not using them if you dig the sound. More wear than nickle flats, but not as much wear as nickle or steel rounds.

Check out the thread on "Flats On A Fretted"

7. try d'adarrio chromes. i've used them for a while. they play great and fit great.

8. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Flatwounds should sound great on that bass for the style of music you play. Also, if you keep the same gauge, you should be able to keep your setup the same as was stated above.