Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flea 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darrelpr, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    I'm looking for feedback from those of you who've played or own a Modulus Flea 5. Bass Player's review of the Flea J5 (Villex pickups) was positive. But I'd like to get feedback from others here on TalkBass. (I appreciate the fact that we don't hold anything back on the TB!) :)

I'm particulary interested in your opinions of the feel and sound of the B string - especially compared to any other fivers you've played or owned.

cheers,
    darrelpr

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have played a couple different Flea basses, both 4's and 5's, but not the J models.

I thought that the low B on the 5er was pretty good, but not quite as good as the B on a Quantum. It sounded very good, though, it was right on par with the other strings. Not thumpy or dull at all.

I didn't like the feel of the neck as well on the Flea as I do on the Quantum series. Seemed to be a bit chunkier and to me, not quite as "fast". But that is all a matter of personal preference.

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i havent played the 5 but ive played the 4. I love flea, and i normally love modulus, but his signature bass is one of the worst deals you can get. The sound bad, are poorly made, and feel awkward. I cant see the 5 string being much different but i think your better off gettting a quantum or another modulus. This is the only bad modulus ive played, cuz normally i love them, Just my $.05.

4. I was just wondering, hyperlitem, why do you consider the flea bass poorly made? Also, what is wrong with the sound?

jtbp

5. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    the only thing i didnt like about it was the pickups.

6. I spent a good bit of time with the Flea 5 this winter when I was looking for a new 5-string. I had high expectations because it was touted as a super Stingray. The fit and finish was excellent and the setup was pretty much flawless on the one I played. The B string felt very nice, but not quite as nice as the Quantum. However, I didn't really like how it sounded. It was very even across all strings, and responsive, but I found it a bit too even maybe, I'm not really sure how to describe it. The tone was a bit flat, kinda sterile (in comparison to a SR5). It didn't have the same kind of agressive midrange that the SR5 has in spades. It was very controlled and a bit 'reserved' sounding.
    I didn't really like the feel of the graphite neck either. It really is a Stingray knockoff in a lot of ways, but I think it lacks the SR's mojo, I guess. In any case, sonic preferences aside, I don't think that the Flea is enough better than the Stingray in terms of construction and playability to justify the price tag.
    Just my $0.02, of course.....

7. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Agreed. The Flea neck has more of a p-bass neck profile (front to back) and is narrower at the nut than the Quantum. I can't remember if the radius is different since it's been awhile since I A/B'ed the two. (The Quantum has a 15" radius which is darn near flat). On the other hand, I kinda' like the chunky neck - although I'd prefer a little wider string spacing on either the Flea or Q (ala Lakland).

8. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Spacegoat, which pickups did the Flea have that you played?

thanx

9. I played a Flea 4 with Lane Poor pickup, and I loved it...although I love p-necks so that could be why...

P.S. The bass is lacking midrange due to the graphite neck.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've played several of them also. I played the one that was reviewed in BP at the NAMM show, and it was by far, the best of the Fleas that I've played. The other ones required a lot of tone knob adjusting, and overall, they were kind of uncomfortable. The j/j style ones aren't that bad, and the Villex p'ups are pretty good, IMO.

11. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    the one i played was new with the blue fleck paint and the lane poor pickup. There were all kinds of finsish cracks near the neck, of NEW BASS. The neck felt awkward to me, and i play a stingray. The paint was all rough, and didnt look very well applied. The hardware on it looked cheap to me and was all scratched. This is the store i buy all my stuff from so i know they are good guys and wouldnt pass a used bass off as a new one. Maybe i just played a bad one, dunno.