FLEA - ALL BASSES

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bart Funk Bass, Sep 16, 2020.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I never saw him play with Jewel, but he and Navarro were on "You Oughta Know" from Alanis Morrisette's album. He was using a fretless on that one.

2. Bart Funk Bass

Bart Funk Bass

Feb 17, 2020
    In ""You Oughta Know" he was using a regular MM StingRay.

3. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    At the time, rumour had it that they also played on Sporty Spice's track Ga Ga :

It was produced by Rick Rubin, and she was rumoured to be dating Anthony Kiedis - so I guess it's possible.

mikeswals likes this.
  4. ac100X

ac100X

Apr 6, 2003
    California
    Did Flea ever perform with a Flea?

BODY close IMG_0984.JPG HEAD IMG_0985.JPG BAG IMG_0981.JPG OVERALL IMG_0982.JPG

5. Bart Funk Bass

Bart Funk Bass

Feb 17, 2020
    Reedt2000 likes this.
  6. Well, all of Flea’s Active Jazz basses are from Fender’s custom shop. In that last Rig Rundown posted, his tech said “yeah, that are VERY different than the regular signature series. So anything goes at that point...

7. Bart Funk Bass

Bart Funk Bass

Feb 17, 2020
    So, imagine that Fleabass' street price was like $299. Probably everything was changed there. Maybe even that Indonesian factory made him custom shops. Who knows...

8. Bart Funk Bass

Bart Funk Bass

Feb 17, 2020

eastcoasteddie and Plake like this.
  9. Bart Funk Bass

Bart Funk Bass

Feb 17, 2020

nixdad and Plake like this.
  10. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Mr Balzary, I feel your pain.

11. Bart Funk Bass

Bart Funk Bass

Feb 17, 2020

mikeswals likes this.
  12. Bart Funk Bass

Bart Funk Bass

Feb 17, 2020

13. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    @Bart Funk Bass -
    Do you know how Flea acquired this bass?

I'm not 100% sure it's exactly the same bass, but we had an identical Alembic Elan 4 in trans red at The Bass Centre during this time. It was purchased by the producers of "The Tracy Ullman Show" in '89 as a gift to Keanu Reeves for appearing on her show (the trans green Elan 4 we ordered after selling the red one is in the same photo as the trans blue Wal MkII (which Flea purchased) in the photo I'd posted back in September on page one of this post.)

After Keanu was given the bass, he’d come by the shop on occasion on his motorcycle to buy strings. Alex Winter did the same, as they were both bassists.

I can't imagine there were too many trans red Elan 4's in L.A. during this era, so it's likely the same bass. I wonder if Keanu didn’t care for it, and somehow it ended up with Flea. Keanu and River were friends, and River and Flea were friends so the math adds up.

View attachment 4088036
    Upon doing some research, River, Flea and Keanu all appeared in the film "My Own Private Idaho" together so this makes sense.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  14. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I've seen an early vid where Flee's playing one of these - Teisco Del Rey short-scale. They are in the desert and like many of his early basses it's hand decorated.

upload_2020-12-13_10-0-41.jpeg

Reedt2000 and nixdad like this.
  15. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Looks like he's got one in the higher ground video

IMG_00000413.jpg

Not sure if it was his, or a prop, or what

JIO and nixdad like this.
  16. Bart Funk Bass

Bart Funk Bass

Feb 17, 2020
    I took into account that this bass could belong to Keanu.
    Flea played a lot in this movie so they spent a lot of time together.

Reedt2000 and nixdad like this.
  17. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yep - that certainly makes sense.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  18. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Looks like it. Seems like I saw another but maybe that's the one I saw.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  19. On the Album, there is a Bonus Track of that song with fretless bass. The standard track (and single) is on fretted.

bigsnack and nixdad like this.
  20. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Look, flea is the man. He also is not a good study for “I want that tone”. He will indorse lots of products but when it comes to the studio all bets are off. I don’t begrudge him for it at all ! I also think he is pretty smart and a lot of what we see is what he wants us to see. Again, nothing wrong with that. He is a type that studies the player as much as their talent. I remember him talking in his video on “ how to play the bass “ or whatever it was called ( it was on vhs ) and River was was doing the interview. He spoke of how cool it was when Mono came out on stage and just slammed a plant in its pot down on the piano and how he wish he could have seen that. He knows it’s very much about appearances. He has definitely used lots of different gear to obtain a very simpler tone ( for the most part ). Still this is a cool thread !

nixdad likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021