Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flea Amp Settings

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassrocker410, May 26, 2005.

1. bassrocker410

bassrocker410

May 26, 2005
    Arizona
    Im trying to find the amp settings that flea uses. If you guys could help me out that would be great.

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Erm, one thing i must ask. What era?

3. bassrocker410

bassrocker410

May 26, 2005
    Arizona
    the blood suger sex magic era has really good songs but i think i like the californication sound the best

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I don't know about amp settings, but it's going to be hard to replicate the Californication sound straight up. He used his signature Modulus Flea bass through GK amps (800's) and Mesa Boogie Diesel 2x10+2x15 (x3) around that period of time (On tour at least).
    So theres something to look at. It was a verry mid oriented punchy sound that he got that still had nice and deep low/low mids that growled.
    So that might be something to start with...

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i think this might be better suited to bassists so ima gonna send it that way

just one thing to remember (and this is quite true of flea as i've read interviews with him), what he uses in the studio is a lot different than what he uses live. I recall an interview with him where he was using wal basses qnd a new alembic epic in the studio, with EB music man basses used on a couple of tracks, but mostly reserved for live use. (this was pre-flea bass era)

amps and settings could vary a good deal as well. the only thing i remember offf the top of my head from that era was that he used mesa cabs with the horns turned off. (and gk heads of course)

6. For bass, room acoustics are a huge part of the sound.

Thats pretty much true of any instrument.

Flea himself can give him his amp and bass and he wont sound like Flea, even in the same room. He's not Flea, so it just wont happen. I used to want to emulate other bassists tone when I was younger too. I think we all probably did. The sooner people realize that they wont get that tone the better off they'll be. They won't get nearly as discouraged about the tone they already have. At least that was the case with me. Once I realized that I'll never sound like these guys, I became much more satisifed with my own tone and ultimately much happier with the gear I had.

7. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    yeah he's right ...you might get close but no one plays exactly the same....just develop your own sound...that's the way to go

8. bassrocker410

bassrocker410

May 26, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks--- im experimenting with sounds right now-

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ivan - That's true. You can even see him using one in the suck my kiss video clip.

10. Wayne 3-13

Wayne 3-13

Apr 28, 2008
    Wales, UK
    I'd like to know Flea's settings for Blood Sugar Sex Magik!!
    That is one funny Record!!

11. Davecg2

Davecg2

Sep 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Founder, Dave BrowseMyGear.com
    id like to know roughly what settings to get his stadium arcadium tone. i know i cant replicate it exactly but roughly how much highs, mids, lows, compression, distortion etc.

12. Stolen from the RHCP forums: Note that this is as of the last tour.

13. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    It's true that Flea used different basses in the studio than live but that was only for 2 albums - BSSM (Wal) and OHM (Alembic). From Californication on he's used the same in the studio as live. I know on Californication they basically recorded it live (and almost mono) - I read an interview with their recoding engineer. They had their amps / drums set up in a large circle. Flea used his modulus / 800RB / Mesa cabs for that. I think his tone has suffered since he went with 2001RB, GK cabs and the Fender Jazz with FLATWOUNDS on the last album. He abandoned the Jazz/Flatwounds mid tour and went back to the Modulus/roundwounds. That was a failed experiment.

14. Davecg2

Davecg2

Sep 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Founder, Dave BrowseMyGear.com
    forgot about this thread, long over due thanks gonzorob

15. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    That's generally true but I read an interview with the recording engineer on Californication and he said it was basically recorded live with their full amps and some DI. He also said it's basically mono with separation only on some drums and vocals. I've never sat down with a separated stereo to verify that but it's interesting.
    Anyways, according to that Flea used his full rig with Modulus Flea bass, GK 2001RB heads and Mesa 2x10 and 2x15 cabs.
    I found the interview - here's a link:
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec99/articles/jim.htm

16. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    he recorded with a variety of amps and cabs see in the blood sugar he evens uses ampeg, he live rig in not the same thing that he uses to record

17. Outlaw_son

Outlaw_son

Mar 8, 2007
    Omahell
    interesting

18. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    When Flea was playing his Fender Jazz did he play with both volumes wide open? It sounds like it.