Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flea, As good as it gets or over-rated?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Alyn, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Alyn

Alyn

Dec 19, 2002
    Most people seem to stereotype him as the ultimate slap/funk bassist, what you guys think of him? I've kinda gone off the Chilli Peppers a lot recently but he is a damn good bassist, I have my doubts as to if he's as good as people claim though, what ya think?

2. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    He's ok. He doesn't play very cleanly, but has alot of soul.

3. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    i like his music. he may not be a chop-monster, but surely he can play his instrument and comes up with great basslines quite often.

:D

4. Flea is definitely not as good as it gets. He's good, but Marcus Miller is the master of slap.

5. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    Flea is my favourite bassist, and I'll be the first to admit that he's not the greatest bassist ever. He is damn good though. He got me int to the funk so I love him.

peace

6. he's great. sometimes he goes off a bit with the slappity-dappity, but he sticks to the groove and plays for the song when he has too. for the most part he's a really solid player. i dig him.
    and plus, he was in two of my favorite movies!:D

7. He's one of my favourites, and everything you said about him sums up what I was going to say :D

Yeah Back to the Future!!!! I saw that part a couple of months ago, and I was SHOCKED! lol

What was the name of the other movie??

Peace.

8. i was talkin' about "The Big Lebowski" and "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". good flicks; if you haven't seen them, CHECK THEM OUT!
    yeah, he was in Back to the Future 2 as Needles(was he in 3 as well?) and The Chase (alongside Anthony Keidis), and a few others (the Blue Iguana, was it?)
    Flea rocks!

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    he has raw talent every newbie aspires to (as in "LOOK HE DIDNT NEED THEORY! LOL") but i'll have to vote him "overrated", sorry. :/

10. it would be really funny if while you were posting this, someone else posted about how flea is great because he can rock out without theory.
    but that didn't happen.

i kinda wish it did. i could use a good laugh about now.:(
    [edit: just saw your sig:p <---i'm laughin' now!]

11. Very over-rated.

12. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    . sure Michael Marning would beat crap out of flea, but does it really matter? I mean, for me the most important thing is to express what is inside MY head, my thoughs, my fellings. And to be as good as I can. I don`t care if someone plays better than me. And I bet Mr. Marning does not play to be better than others.

For example, let`s say you`ve got something very important to say to a person you`ll never see in your life again. Wife, child, girlfriend, father whatever. Would you allow Robert De Niro to say it for you just because he`s a better actor than you?

Would Marcus be able to replace Flea in the `peppers?
    Chops are really cool, everyone like to have some, but IMO they`re the RESULT of playing bass not the REASON.

13. Alyn

Alyn

Dec 19, 2002
    whoah, calm down man, hell, I agree, they Chillis wouldn't be the Chillis without Flea, it had just come to my attention that on guitar websites and in most places Flea is seen as the be all and end all off bass playing but he's never mentioned on bass sites, I just wanted to know what the opinion of him was amongst other bassists.

14. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    . ok then. he ain`t ultimate bassist, he`s ultimate flea:)

15. gus

gus

Dec 31, 2001
    Madrid (Spain)
    I agree at all. Flea is an inspired musician, not a great bass player. He is a living proof what´s the way a bass could talk.

Aaaadios

16. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before. (Steven Wright)

Don't we do this one about once a week?

Anyway, Flea is obviously a great player. Not betterer or worser than most or even the greatester (sorry, gotta find new superlatives).

17. I have a lot of respect for Flea. I don't think he's overrated at all. I do think that a lot of people try to copy his particular style but in the process don't know that the f*** they're doing and end up producing Velveeta rather than funk.

There's an instructional video he did about a decade ago for Star Licks where he says a lot of relevant things about music that still hold true today, and where he talks about jazz, punk, funk and rock with equal relevance. That's how it should be anyway.

18. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I don't think he's quite as great as peopel make him 0out to be (almighty bass god to some), but he does know his scales very well and plays solid lines that really fit the groove. He is by no menas the greatest, but he does everythign needed to get the job done well.

19. OneCoolDog

OneCoolDog

Oct 15, 2002
    Alabama, USA
    I don't think anyone is as good as it gets.. there's always going to be someone better the way I see it. But my Mom says I'm real glass half empty person. Basically, I'm not going to be the best ever lol.

20. modernday

modernday

Oct 20, 2002
    St. Paul
    Flea is right where he should be. He's an amazing bassist and person. Maybe he's not the greatest bass player out there, but his bass lines are fit perfectly into the songs and they make sense. Plus I'd like to see another bass player go as crazy on stage and improvise solos like he does.