Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flea bass anybody?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rhcp17, Mar 28, 2002.

1. rhcp17

rhcp17

Oct 1, 2001
    pennsylvania usa
    im lookin to get a new bass this summer when i get a job, and becuase i play a lot of chili peppers music i was thinkin of goin with the flea bass. i know they r expensive, but what do the guys who have played them think? R they worth the dough? either way ill check it out in person before making any descions.

ps
    what r some good places to but basses online?

2. Hey,
    I used to have a Flea bass. It was cool, but I found after a while that I didn't like the somewhat sticky feel of the back of the graphite neck, and the neck's P-like profile was a little thick for me. But, these things are subjective.. you might like it.
    Here are two Flea's for sale on the 'Net right now, a 4 and a 5:
    http://www.gguitars.com/servlet/Store.ViewInventory?STORE_ID=1&INVENTORY_ID=127&PAGE_NUMBER=1
    http://www.basspalace.com/dynamic/displaybass/4StringBass/2015
    Both these stores are good online places to buy. Also check Bass Northwest at www.bassnw.com
    They have had several new and used Flea basses recently.
    Also, I guess this bears repeating: you can play Chili Peppers music on any bass. In fact, Flea has recorded with several different basses over the years, including a Wal and an Alembic, so it's not just Music Mans or Modulus basses you're hearing on their records.

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    if i'm not mistaken, flea recorded most of his slap stuff from mother's milk and before with a spector.

i personally couldn't make a flea bass sound like flea. it has a very specialized tone. try before you buy, that's for sure.

4. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Just a small suggestion: Don't buy a bass just because someone you like has one or endorses it. That's quite possibly the worst reason to buy an instrument. Obviously you can do what you want... just trying to save you from possibly making a mistake.

I've played the Flea basses before. I generally like graphite neck basses, as I still own a 4 string fretless Modulus. I was not impressed by the Flea bass. The neck was odd and it didn't sound all that special to me. I'd highly suggest trying one out before you make the plunge man.