Flea Bass.. Anyone try these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Dec 22, 2000.

1. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Just like the Subject asks, has anyone tried out the Flea Bass? If so, please reply on how its like.. I would like to play one but none of music stores around me has any... whenever i watch Flea use the Flea Bass.. i always want one
  2. Well, I'm sorry to say that I played the Flea Bass and I hated it. I was so dissapointed because I love Modulus, they have some great products. But the problem with this bass is that it does not sound like what you expect it to sound like. You expect it to sound like Flea, but it doesn't. It has a very thin sound and a very loose feel. It's also very uncomfortable to play, for me at least. It feels like a toy, it's so light and it was very hard to find a comfortable place on the pickup to put my thumb. Overall, as you can tell I didn't think it was all too hot.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Thye had one of these in the Bass Centre in London and I would go along with belair's comments exactly.
  4. I too played one at the Bass Centre (Birmingham) and to be honest, it was very mediocre for a £2000 bass - plus it had really heavy strings on it which were well past their sell-by date!

Well made though and the neck was pretty easy to play!

5. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I own a Flea Bass, and I like it. It requires some on board EQing, but once you get that, its great. Mine is punchy, and has a sparkly sound to it, probably due to the composite fingerboard. I just sort of wish I got a 5 string version, so now I'm looking at a G&L 2500.
  6. How's about another Modulus bass in a five format!?

Glad you like your Flea bass! Again, the one I tried was not set up very well so I suppose given a new set of decent strings and a set up, and a bit of time, I might get on better with it! Problem is that sometimes, a first impression can last!

Anyway, best regards!

7. GaryB

Aug 30, 2000
    I Love mine!

While it is certainly not Modulus' top of the line, it is still a great bass. Mine came with light gauge 100-40 round wound strings, and has very fine action. I agree it may not make you sound like Flea but if it isn't in your fingers you won't hear it in your ears.

I find it to be versatile. Mine has the Lane Poor pickup with the bartolini preamp with active treble and bass. It has that modern snap and yet can get that classic in the pocket thump when needed.

2000 sterling is a lot higher than what they retail for in the states. I paid about $1600 three years ago.

My only complaint with has been the SKB case it came in. The feet on one side broke. I sent SKB an email months ago and never got a response. Ended up getting a gig bag.
  8. I think the FB is a high quality bass, and the one I tried out had the SD pickup and 2 band EQ. I finally got my hands on a Zon yesterday (Sonus Special 5) and I honestly can't decide whether I liked the FB or the Sonus more.

I probably won't buy another bass for at least another year (I love my new fretless Stingray 5 too much to warrant another bass right now... my bank account could use some recovery time too :) ) but based on my experiences with the Fleabass and the Sonus, Modulus and Zon are probably going to be the top contenders for my next bass.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think the thing about first impressions is dead-on; in the Bass Centre in London there are always about a dozen basses cheaper than £2,000 that do sound really great without having to do a setup or tweak the EQ, so it does seem very mediocre in comparison. For me - the primary consideration is what the bass sounds like and this just doesn't cut it, even though it does look well-made and as if it would stand up to a lot of punishment! I think we're probably spoiled in the UK, as top range Status basses fall into the same range with graphite necks and a lot more features/options. So if you want that type of punchy sound a Status is going to be better value.
  10. When the new Mars Music opened up where I live they had a brand new Flea Bass. The funny thing is is that they put it on a stand as a floor model in a store that is way too busy. Well one day somebody knocked the stand over and the neck hit something and it took a chip out of it. I never played it, but I thought it sounded ok when some slap happy fool picked it up.
  11. BassicCat

Apr 8, 2000
    I can't go on about setups and string thicknesses and such, but here's thoughts on the FleaBass I saw/handled at Mars here in Orlando, Florida: We work in 2 man teams (telecommunications), and found it convenient to spend a recent lunch hour @ Mars. My partner is an excellent guitarist and bassist. Drums, too - he does gigs on guitar/bass as "extra" income. Anyways, we hit all the local shops and try out gear. With THIS bass, Mike spent the longest time and played the most seriously than any other bass I've seen him try. He really liked it and had only praise. Myself, I'm a beginner and have a sincere love of the electric bass guitar and it's sounds. I loved the FleaBass and would buy it in a heartbeat. I would be happy to have it as my "only" bass if I could have just one!
  12. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    As someone who has owned a Flea bass and sold it back to the store I bought it from(for my cabinets) and realized if I wanted a single humbuckling bass I'd go with the stingray. I've found the best thing about it was the option of the lane poor pickup with the bartolini preamp (don't think IMHO that the bartolini pickup sounds as smooth) and the flat out durability of the the bass itself. Although I will warn those of you out there I've done the research and theres a first and second model out there. Stay far away from the first models with fleas signature on them since they don't have trussrods in them. I returned mine because after having it for less than one month the neck warped after I took perfect and loving care of it(I believe it was bought this way). I returned it to the store and they contacted Modulus about it and they told me it would be 8-12 weeks before they could ship a replacment. Not worth it in my mind just to have it happen again after a wait like that. Most of the later models don't have the signature but have trussrods in the graphite necks. Why the first ones did'nt I don't know. BUYER BEWARE. All in all, unless your using your bass to block bullets I think the MM Stingrays are a muck better choice sound wise as well constuction wise. I love mine.
  13. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    How can graphite necks warp? Isn't the whole idea of graphite necks that they should not do such a thing?
  14. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ya know, thats what I thought Oyster, but evidently they can, did and will if your not careful. By any means this was no normal warp, don't get me wrong(shucks look at all the pretty comma's so far...oops uhh happy new year). It warped at about from the 12th fret to the 16th, kind of inverted like. From what I've heard around here, people have had the same kind of problems with Status graphite basses. Besidesif they didn't warp why did Modulus all of a sudden start adding trussrods?
  15. If you're expecting a bass to "sound like Flea" you're going to be disappointed every time. Flea's sound is in his hands, not the bass. And besides, he's mostly used Wals and Spectors and Alembics to record the RHCP albums.
    I owned a Flea bass a few years ago. It was badass.. all black, with a Lane Poor pickup. Sounded great. But I wound up not liking the feel of the graphite neck, and the neck profile was a little chunky for me, so I sold it.
  16. I have never personally experienced any such warping problems with any of my Status basses (I have owned 9 over the years and still have 5 at present) however, the reason the new basses have truss rods is to allow the player to be able to set the neck relief such that it is suitable for their own playing style!

As regards the StingRay basses, you may be pleased to hear that Status are providing Ernie Ball with a number of graphite necks for a limited edition StingRay to be shown at this years NAMM show (I think there are going to be 25 basses built!)

17. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I had heard that Nick, but the question on everyones mind is how much are they gonna cost? If anyone has any clue let me know.
  18. Hi!

I think Ernie Ball are the best bet in terms of an answer to the question of cost! I have no idea! Those basses will also feature the original StingRay bridge units, complete with foam dampers!

19. I wish those graphite necked NAMM Stingrays would become a production model.
  20. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Amen:rolleyes:, mostly so I could try one out and give it a listen.