1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flea Bass - are they still available?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkyWilly, Aug 20, 2012.

1. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly

May 10, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I want to buy a Flea Bass as a promotional item for a raffle. I went to the Flea Bass site and clicked "Buy Now". It showed links to several sites (including MF, GC, Amazon, Music 123) but none of the links work, and none of these sites seem to show the bass as available. I'm looking for the Street Bass model. Any clue? Are they no longer available? I'm in Chicago, if that helps -- anyone know of a store that has them?

Thanks in advance.
    Will

2. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Nope. I think Flea pulled them months ago.

3. Here's link to eBay.. not sure if that's what you're looking for, but hey I just saw your post and checked for the heck of it... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=flea+bass&rt=nc

4. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly

May 10, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks. The eBay listing is for a junior size Flea bass. I was hoping to find a full size. I guess they are off the market and gone now, unless someone has some old stock. Thanks anyway.

5. He pulled them?............ HaHa, what a bad
    business decision. Did Flea really think anyone
    was gonna buy one of his lame basses?

6. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I don't think he needs money... I think he genuinely did it out of love. I don't think they're lame by the way (looks wise, haven't played one)

7. It may be that he has a pending endorsement deal with another maker, and had to get his own line off the market, as a condition of the deal. Only time will tell.

8. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
  9. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    I don't think there ever were full-size models. I seem to remember only 1/2 and 3/4 sizes hanging on the wall at the Silverlake Music Consevatory. They were for the aspiring Flea-ettes.

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Damn! I was waiting patiently for the Musiciansfriend blowout sale on these. I was certain it was going to come one day. I will not give up hope. :)

11. BritFunk

BritFunk

Jan 8, 2009
    My Friends,

I can tell you that there absolutely were full-sized (34" scale) Flea basses manufactured - there is a new one at a local music store. It has been there for a while (he has it WAY overpriced), but if anyone is interested I'll see what kind of price you could get it for and get back to you with pics. The store caters to bluegrass and country musicians which is another reason it hasn't gotten much in the way of attention.

----
    Kurt

12. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I saw a light blue one last night at the Sam Ash in Cherry Hill, NJ. I think it was full sized, but I didn't pay much attention. Might be worth giving them a call.

13. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly

May 10, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks. I'll give the Cherry Hill store a call. I'm going to a conference where the Red Hot Chili Peppers are performing and thought I might raffle off a Flea Bass as a promotion.... if I can get one.

http://www.salesforce.com/dreamforce/DF12/

14. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly

May 10, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I love this forum! Thank you for the tip on the Flea bass in Sam Ash in NJ. I ordered it over the phone and it's on its way to me now! I was told it was used but in like new condition. I should have it in a couple of days.

Will

15. Waldo19

Waldo19

Jul 9, 2011
    The Fleabass I played was pretty nice for the price. They probably will be a collectors items at some point since they had a limited run and are attached to a very famous bassist. The prices already look to be a little inflated (speculation perhaps).

It seems like Flea's motivation for the company was a genuine desire to put affordable instruments on the market for beginning bassists. From what I gather, he ended up pulling the plug on the project because sales weren't great and while he enjoyed the creative side of the project, the business side began to be too much for him.