1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flea bass cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Daweedfx, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Daweedfx

Daweedfx

Mar 17, 2014
    Budapest
    Hi there,I'm trying too get a slap tone like flea's(I know flea is is flea so I should just stop trying:))) Question is everywhere i look it says he using 4x10 with a 1x15.But here everyone says its a big no no.Cause I like the sound of 1x15's and really like too pair it with a 410.So whatsup,a multimillion record selling 30+ Years playing bass player's got it wrong.Please help,cause i don't get it.

Attached Files:

GlassOnion likes this.
  2. Notice he is wearing in ear monitors when playing live. You don't hear his rig live.

3. Yeah, nah.

4. Daweedfx

Daweedfx

Mar 17, 2014
    Budapest
    So he just has them cause they look good?

5. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Fixed that for you.

Thombas, McFarlin, gregmon79 and 5 others like this.
  6. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    He's paid to have them on show so people like you pay to look the same. Especially note the lack of mics on them.

McFarlin likes this.
  7. xroads

xroads

Nov 6, 2012
    I don't think that is entirely correct. Even with in ears, it's good to have the physical punch in stage. I bet this rig gives him that.

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    His live or recorded tone?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Flea's tone comes from Flea.

Big String, eukatheude and Clark Dark like this.
  10. Any high powered rig with enough speakers would..........

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  11. shastaband

shastaband Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2006
    The recorded sound on Flea's records or CDs may have absolutely nothing to do with his stage sound or stage rig. Bass might well have been recorded direct with oodles of (expensive) studio processing. That stage rig might not ever have even been in the studio. Live, he is probably running a direct line to the FOH PA. He might be hearing his onstage speakers at a live gig. You probably aren't, unless you're in the first few rows :)

Bass_Pounder likes this.
  12. Beserkerbass

Beserkerbass

Jan 9, 2014
    That's why pics like this always give me a good laugh :roflmao:

Attached Files:

mbelue likes this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Bah...it's called "SHOW business," not "DON'T PUT ON A SHOW business."

Thombas, tbz and TonyP- like this.
  14. xroads

xroads

Nov 6, 2012
    Agree.

15. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    Actually, having toured with them (a while ago now) I can tell you with all certainty that the GK rig he uses (or used) was loud as hell, and was used loudly enough that you definitely heard it as part of the equation of what made up the house sound well past the first few rows.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I have no clue where this "If it isn't mic'ed you're not hearing it" stuff comes from. Even at my piddly onstage volumes, you can hear my rig plain as day in the house along with my DI. Sounds darn good, too.

pastorjamesc, GlassOnion and D.A.R.K. like this.
  17. davy4575

davy4575

Nov 4, 2009
    Denver, CO
    if you dig around recording forms like tape op or sound on sound or such, youll find how they recorded him on various albums as well as what type of set up he used for tours on those albums. Ive done plenty of gigs with in ear monitoring and still have the cabs plugged in but ive also done a few with just the heads going to FOH and monitoring busses. Point is that if youre not using your cab(s) as I dont generally when recording, your tone is going to come from your bass, strings, effects, eq, preamp and how you play the bass so if you want a desired tone, do/use those things that emulate that tone within your budget and skill set.
    (the times that I had to disconnect the cabs on stage was due to equipment failure not by choice)

18. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    yeah, if he's pushing his rig even slightly hard live you will hear the rig at any venue he plays- at least a combo of it and the house PA.... if you've ever been to a stadium gig during sound check you know that the rigs can be heard without the mains enforcing the signal being provided. Bass carries for days.....

D.A.R.K. likes this.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Word.

20. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    The GK 410/115 X3 is better for planking than the Acoustic setup that he used for a short time.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014