1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FLEA BASS - JUNIOR BASS - ANY EXPERIENCE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Milstein, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    IN MY QUEST TO BUY A 2ND SHORT SCALE BASS (I AM PLANNING TO BUY A EPI RUMBLEKAT AND/OR A FENDER MUSTANG) SOMEONE SUGGESTED A FLEA JR BASS. I CAN GET ONE NEW FOR 400 BUCKS.. ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS? COMMENTS REQUESTED/APPRECIATED. HAD NO IDEA THIS BASS EXISTED. LOOKS COOL. OR IS IT ALL JUST HYPE GIVEN FLEA'S TAG AND ITS A PC OF CRAP?

CAN SEE IT AT:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Flea-Bass-Junior-Bass-581935-i1446810.gc

THANKS,
    JOEY

2. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
  3. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I started the above mentioned thread. I can't say that I didn't get a lemon, but I would suggest an SX. It also depends on what tone you want. IIRC, The Rumblekat is a more old school "woody" sound. The Mustang sounds more like a P-bass. The Flea has more of a Music Man feel.

What I can say, outside of the poor quality control I got on my particular bass, is that the stock pickup is poo poo. I don't think it will vary from bass to bass.

4. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    IMHO the flea basses are extremely ugly!

5. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Lol the Fleabass took such a ripping in that thread. I guess it deserves it as they are pretty badly made by the looks of things, and if left stock sound pretty poor as well.

6. This is a huge can of worms. Bottom line, is it worth 400 bucks to take the chance? If so go for it. Keeping my opinions to myself for the most part, it just seems like I could get a lot of other stuff that I would rather have for that money. Just my thoughts.

7. Joe Milstein

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    GLAD I ASKED. I GIGGLED AT THE THREAD ENTRY FROM ABOVE ABOUT THE TELLETUBBIES RESEMBLENCE.. I WILL NOT BUY A FLEA BASS. THE 400 BUCKS CAN GO IN BETTER DIRECTIONS. I WILL GET AN EPI ALLEN WOODY RUMBLEKAT FOR NOW...

8. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Or a lower case key?

9. Joe Milstein

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    just got one... much better now!:spit:

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I just got to play one of these Flea Juniors at practice last night....
    and I really liked it!

I'm playing a subbing gig this thursday with a friends' band, and at practice last night their manager gal shows me her new purchase from Bass NW because she wants to learn bass.
    So I plugged it in and proceed playing it for a couple of tunes. Typical passive; volume and a single tone knob, the bass really growled nicely with the knob up, and had a smooth bouncy tone with it rolled back. Played very easy and nice fretwork, my only complaint was the nut is cut a tad too high. Either way this little pint-sized bass provided a big sound for rock and everyone in the band was suprised how well it sat. And her band even stopped making fun of the bass! ;)

My little kid is telling me he wants to 'play' bass, so I may just end up getting him one of these eventually.

11. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool

12. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I have liked all the ones I have played, and seen. Thats just me though. And they look killer, especially with the pickguard removed.

13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Played one.. underimpressed for the ammount of talk up they give it.

14. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    They're too expensive to try in my opinion.