Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flea bass owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ivanthetrble, Feb 5, 2003.

1. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    OK Flea bass owners, what electronics package did you get and why? Bart pickups? Lane Poor pickups? Seymour Duncan pickups? Others?? 2 band Eq? 3 band Eq?

2. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
  3. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I have the OBP-1 Aguilar (2 band) and bart p/u (I think!) in my flea 5. It would be nice to have a mid range control, but honestly it sounds great w/ this preamp. That being said, I'm considering selling mine because of the string spacing. It's a bit too narrow for me.

4. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
  5. I have a Flea 5 with Basslines and a 2-band EQ. Why? Because I've never played anything else and fell in love with this one when I saw it. Great basses, some may think it's just a one trick pony, and that it just gets that "Flea tone". Well I get all the tones I want out of it. Plus I didn't buy it for the tone Flea gets, I bought it for the sounds I can get out of it.

6. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    This electronic combination give me a less artificial and more controlled & natural Middle sounds with better definited bass/treble frequencies, so therefore a superior cut-through tone. After play with different electronics combinations, I think this on-board pre (OBP-3) controls better the Bart. signature color. (DP?;) )

7. beefhaus2000

beefhaus2000

Sep 25, 2002
    New Jersey
    Let me know if you want to sell...I'm on the look out for a flea

8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
  9. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I have a lane poor/bart Flea - if I had to choose i'd want the Aguilar pre, but i got it for a good price. I LOVE the sound of my flea - but the sound isn't great for every circumstance.

that said, there are a dizzying array of tonal options just from changing how you play - more than most basses I've had - and that's a lot o' basses!

do you have anything you specifially would like to know about the flea?

10. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    Most of my questions are about pre-amp/pickup options. I have played one with a Bart pre/pickups and 3 band Eq. Really liked the feel and sound but I have been hearing reallllly good things about the Aguilar/Bart combo but can't find one to try out.