flea bass questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Jun 22, 2001.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    - anyone else think the sparkly thing is a little ugly?
    - does the B resonate nicely w/ only 34" for 5 str.?
    - seem generally unpopular - why?
  2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I fooled around with one and thought that it was not that great at all. But then again I'm not a Modulus fan at all. They just don't do it for me. Call me a fuddy-dudd.
  3. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Never played one, but i think they look great :)
  4. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    put simply...best bass ive ever played.

Ive played basses two and three times as expensive (ken smith, pedulla, a bunch) as the flea i have, and quite frankly, id take the flea anyday. I think the neck is absolutely perfect, the sound is really hifi, great electronics, great everything

the only gripe i have is the colors...but ill put up with that for what really matters: playability and sound.

as for how the 5 sounds...it is a bit wimpy...if you want a 5 modulus consider teh quantum series sweetspot...as close as you can get to the flea with a 35 scale
  5. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    never played one but the sparkly color is pretty ugly in my eyes. It looks cheap.

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    Jaco's bass want too pretty either
  7. Captain Wally......You dont have to have 35" scale to have a tight B, check out Stingray 5, Sadowsky 5, Pedulla 5, my Tobias 5, my L2500, all 34" and better than a lot of the 35" ones I've tried. In fact I had a Yamaha TRBII5 and a custom 5, both with 35", and the B sucked on both of them.
  8. BASS PLAYERS......to me, Jaco's main bass was absolutely beautiful, in fact any old sunburst Fender with the nitro-cellulose all scratched up is a work of art!
  9. wisdom_seeker

Jun 23, 2001
    Hi, I just puchased my very first bass and was wondering if it was a good deal or not I was just wondering if I could get some feed back.
  10. wisdom_seeker

Jun 23, 2001
    It's a Ibanez soundgear SR 1000, are those good basses??
  11. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I think the metal flake finishes look great!

What I think looks ugly are natural finishes and neck through basses. Exotic woods and such

But that's just my opinion.
  12. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Agree with everything, except natural finshes. Jazz basses look nice with natural finshes.

Tru necks and exotic woods basses look crappy to me.
  13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hmm...wonder if Dirty Road Cola will stop in a give HIS opinion....

....which happens to be similar to my opinion:

Worst bass Modulus makes, period: The Flea Bass.

Dull dead tone, funky feeling neck (and not a GOOD funky), and just butt ugly. The 5 string would almost certainly be a horrible mistake. ;)

If I were to be getting a Modulus, it'd be a Q5W, or a Genesis 5 (best bass they make). But, I'm a Zon guy. :)
  14. what's the bass that Megadeth's David Ellefson is playing in the pic on p18 of the June BP?
    looks like a Flea bass 5 but with two EMG p/ups.
  15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Mock: That's a custom Flea bass. Josh Paul ordered one, and they just made two and gave one to Ellefson.
  16. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Don't waste your time on a Flea Bass. Get a Stingray..Sterling..whatever. I bought one; regretted it. Then I bought a Zon 5..love it :)

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    Oh....me too!!! But you see the point i was trying to make...