flea bass, stingray, or fender jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by liran, May 27, 2001.

Poll closed Jun 11, 2003.
  1. Modulus Flea bass

32 vote(s)
  2. Stingray

69 vote(s)
  3. American Fender jazz

58 vote(s)
  1. liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas

2. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

What bass did flea use before his name was used ? What is STINGRAY !!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    The first bass I remeber seeing Flea play live was a Westone Pantera back in 86/87. I cant remember what it was before that, but pretty sure it was not a stingray.

Now I have a Stingray, and have had several. I really enjoy them, but have to consider myself a Jazz Bass guy all they way. Although I dont have one right now, I know I will have another soon enough
  4. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    if you saw flea play in the mid eighties and he wasn't play a stingray,he was playing a spector
    which he used for recording uplift mofo party plan

Just out of curiosity did fishbone open up for them?
  5. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I once replaced a Jazz with a Sabre and have played on friends' Sting Ray. Of the three, I always thought the Stingray was the funkiest. Even though I bought the Sabre thinking I could get the Stingray sound and then some, it never really worked out that way. Still a pretty sweet bass.

6. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I saw him in 87, after UPLIFT MOFO, and it WAS a Westone Pantera. Not saying that is what he played exclusively, and it may well have been a Spector most of the time. But when they came to New Orleans it was indeed a Panterea, I worked for a Westone Dealer, and we rode that one endorsement all the way home bro. I even have pictures man.
  7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Scott, cool
    I used to hang with flea quite a bit back around that time then he became rich and didn't need a free place to stay in Boston any more. oh well.
    just read your profile hows army life? I've never really talked to some who does that gig.
  8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    thinkin about it flea also used a guild pilot some around that time
  9. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    AJ. it is a cool gig, but there are alot of extras involved, like running 3-4 miles every morning, fun "camping trips"(weeks of sleeping in the great outdoors), and cool European Vacations (Deployments to Bosnia). Other than that it is your typical day gig. Well I do dig it though, keeps me in shape and playing bass for a living. I also remember Flea playing a Guild Pilot. That era was the birth of bass playing days. I started in 85 and discovered Flea in the summer of 87 after hearing Uplift....... I worked at a small shop near N.O. and remember wanting the Pantera so much after seeing Flea play it. It was real snappy sounding. Then I found Mike Mills and the Rickenbacker thing was started and did not get back to Flea till late 89 when Mother's Milk came out.

That is cool that you used to hang with Flea, I have never met him. But I bet he is a really down to earth guy. I did meet Mike Watt though, and he is a hoot man. I dug getting to hang with him a bit.
    You and I must be near the same age.
  10. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I love Flea.

I also love all of the above three basses.

I love the Modulus because it has that awesome graphite neck, and the cool sparkly finishes, an optional Aguilar OBP-1 preamp (the best onboard preamp available, IMHO), and an optional Badass II bridge as OE.

I love the Stingray because it's a Stingray, the one and only original Stingray. It looks unique with the oval pickguard and the "banana" control plate and it sounds unique too!

I love the Jazz Bass because Jazz Basses are my favorite basses in terms of looks, and I love the thin neck. I also like the Jazz Bass sound, and while it doesn't sound like a Stingray or the Flea Bass, the Stingray and the Flea Bass don't sound like a Jazz Bass.

How about getting a Modulus VJ Bass?
  11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    yah scott

I started playin bass around that time 84 it was freaky styley that got me goin and the meters rejuvination (wich I got from flea) a HUGE infulence on that album.

So you see real combat ?see.. at one point I considered that path but lookin inside I desided Id a hard time with the hiearchy thing I feel Ive made a good desision(for myself) but Ive allways been courious.
  12. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I keep hitting submit instead of spell check (which I need!)

what's the repertoire like do you have to play tuba/sousaphone coming from new Orleans did you play those already
  13. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Hey Andrew, lets see the easy stuff first. You dont need to play tuba to be an Army bass player because when it comes to marching band gigs, bass players, guitar player and piano players are assigned to bass drum and cymbols while the Army drummers cover the snare parts. Pretty easy but they can be real anal about that stuff depending on where you go. As far as what type of stuff we do. We have a 25 pc jazz swing big band(which I play my Azola Vintage Baby Bass in), a small 4-5 pc jazz combo, either upright or electric, mostly dinning partys for Generals ect., full 40 pc concert band, upright or aux. percusion. and a rock band(which I actually play guitar in) and a salsa band that I play my baby Bass in. The Army provides the gear but I am using my own now so I dont have to switch all the time when I do civilian gigs. At Ft. Drum NY, I had a Modulus Quantum 6, Zeta Bass, and 2 Redheads. We are waiting on our big bass purchase here in Va this fall.

As for the Combat Side, when I was in Bosnia, it was a tense sceen, but no combat, we did walk the streets armed and traveld in armed convoys, in full combat gear. But put the weapons down when we played. So that was my experience, but I know of Bandsmen that were on the front lines in Saudi and had Iraquis surrendering to them. My old teacher was the Jump Master into Saudi with the 82nd Airborne Band. So it can happen, but these are rare, most military bandsman dont ever see this stuff.

I have a prob with the authority thing to, but it is getting better. I dig the job, and it is a chance of a lifetime, and I am getting some really cool experiences, but I dont dig it every day. Ya know. It is a job.
  14. What kind of bass was flea using in their on the mtv music awards
  15. liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    his modulus flea bass! the silver flake one i think.
  16. I've played Stingrays and fender Jazzes (sp?). I like the look of the MusicMan better, but I have NEVER played anything with a better sound than the Fender Jazz. I think it was a Fender Jazz American Deluxe series. About $5000 Australian. VERY nice.
  17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    that's crazy... they're like 1k (give or take a little) here.
  18. Is that the Jazz, or the American Deluxe Jazz? There's a difference. Don't ask me what it is, but there is a difference :D And I was wrong about the price I said b4, it's actually more like $4400.
  19. LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I just want to add this funky flea story. I was at a radio show in southern California. It wasn't a good night for the band, Anthonys vocals were wack, well the sound in general was bad. Flea went crazy and threw his bass to some lucky guy in the pit. His dumbass crazy roadie went after it. I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT, the roadie got the bass back, minus a shirt and some blood.

Before The flea bass was the stingray before that I believe it was the Westone before that.....the trumpet.
  20. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    American Jazz=passive
    American Deluxe Jazz= active

i think