Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flea Bass (w/ pictures, 56k OK)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Finally.

I love it.

:cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-As soon as I picked it up, I said wow. The thing is just built like a rock. It's very comfortable to wear and has virtually no neck dive. The neck is incredible fast and easy to play.

-The slap tone. I am in heaven. It's so thick and meaty, and it is always begging for more. IT felt like I was hitting a low ceiling when I played my warwick for some basic slap lines that utilized alot of notes. You can really let this thing rip. It opens right up and is just so full when you start to slap it.

-I got the aguilar OBP preamp and the Bartolini pickup. The variety of tones i can get from this thing, is like, infinite. I can get AMAZINGLY huge lows, and very bright defined highs that are so charactierstic of Moduluses (moduli?)The thing has a huge range of tones, I can get that BTCS (Dave Matthews Band/Stefan Lessard) tone that is in the studio Crush, I can dig in and get the little pops that he often plays with live. Dear lord. Amazinggg.

-It cuts through the mix like nothing I've ever played. Love it.

I think I have found my perfect bass. I'm very glad I traded in my corvette for it- where it left off this thing picked up. I'm still taking the hit from the price though.

But god damn, what a bass.

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Congrats. Great colors, BTW. :) Something about blacked-out basses that does it for me...

3. yeah, nice bass!
    i really like the PG/body color combo...one of my all time favorites!

4. Nice bass man, I like it! I want a good slap bass so bad, just for slapping, and that would be good for jazzy stuff, so I think I'm gonna go for a jazz bass. If that doesn't work, I'll probably try a 'Ray to see if I can coax a smooth tone out of it.

Anyways, sweet bass man!

5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Right on man, welcome to the family of Flea bass owners. Mine is actually the exact same color/pg combination as yours. I got mine with a Lane Poor pickup initially, but have sinced swapped it out for Carey Nordstrand's MM4.2 and have never looked back. I've also added an active/passive switch to the Bartolini NTBT.

Out of curiosity, what year is yours? The bridge looks noticeably different than the one on mine.

At any rate, congrats on a great bass. Oddly enough, I also got rid of a Warwick Corvette once I got my Flea.... spooky.... :bag:

6. It was built in January 2005.

7. Congratulations man!!!

Nice bass!!!

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice!!!

9. Mmmm. The wait was definatley worth it. (~3-4 months)

10. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Congrats Bro! Black is the way to go.

11. Nice. Very Stealthy.

If I didn't have two great basses already, and a very small wallet I would probably give one of those a thorough try.

12. It's alot more versatile then I thought it would be - Not gonna lie