Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flea bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Howard K, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    OK, any flea bass owners, tell me about it, how's is play, sound, variation of tone - what's the brightness like?

bad experiences, good experiences?!

ta
    :)

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
  3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Ahem, sorry! :rolleyes:

I think I might remember it actually. The bass Gallery in cambden has a flea4 for sale with an extra pickup... i'm onthe look out for a new 4 (once i've cleared my current debts ;) )not that i can afford it, but it looks so damned good and i wondered what they played like!?

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Haa! The sheer frikking irony! I opened up that thread and lo and behold!!!

LOL!!!!

Funy sh*t!!!

5. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    i work next door to the bass gallery!!!

*this post means nothing otherwise*

:cool:

6. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Howard K i think i have the bass you speak of. It's the Randy Hope Taylor flea 4 (bought it 10 months ago) It's a great bass!!! But i may think about selling it in the future, as the neck is just a tad wide. All i can say to people out there is try a Modulus first as it may not be the bass for you, but it does cut through a mix like a knife!

7. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    punkfunkfreak!! You work next door to the bass gallery!!! Do me a favour on your lunch break, check out what they have in stock, as they never Update there web page, hehe.

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    If you do decide to sell it, let me know, I'd love to try it out at least.

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Better get in the queue Howard it's an awesome bass.

10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I fight you for it! ;)

Actually, I have number of potentials on my 4 string want list:
    Warwick thumb or fna, stingray/sterling, fender jazz, esh..., a zon or something would be nice! anything else that plays damned good ;)

My only criteria are a relativley slim neck, but not too slim! a fairly flat f/board, active electronics oh and it has to sound awesome and look good!!

any recommendations?

i'm thinking of spending say £1200 maximum... obvioulsy i'd arther pay as little as poss for damned nice bass!

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    1 You'll win a the fight and b the buying power (just about to do all my savings on a holiday)

2 All nice basses imo except the Esh ( personal opinion here folks )

3 Warwick and Musicmen dont fit my definition of a slim neck

I do however own a Warwick and Musicman. If you want to try them PM me and we can try to work something out.

EDIT BTW my basses are not for sale so theres no ulterior motive I,m not gay and i'm not a serial killer (no disrespect to gays or serial killers intended).

12. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    slim neck.. yes you're right. In comparision to my 5 string p bass almost anything is a slim neck!!! (cue John Turner)

I used to own a 4 string stingray and regretted selling almost immediately. doh! damned nice basses, a powerful sound and a really responsive instrument.

i think i'm going to book a day off and bug martin at the gallery for a day when i've nearly saved the cash.
    thanks for the offer, i might take you up on it sometime? :)

13. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    ok happy hunting and say hello to Martin for me

14. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    ooooooooh, so NOW im noticed.....yes, i see your game now.

;)

no probs, ill go in next week and get some kind of stock listing or summat.

15. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    punkfunkfreak just have a wee glance at there used basses and see if anything jumps out as a bargain i.e. Warwick Streamer Stage II 5/ Fender Jazz Deluxe.

Howard K, from what you have said i think you would love the neck on the Flea. Go try one out!

16. I'd say Musicman Sterlings have slim necks.:confused:

17. 2pods

2pods

Mar 27, 2002
    Scotland
    My Anniversary Stingray has a slim enough neck for me. Can't comment on the usual Stingray though, I think they may be even slimmer.:D

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've spent some time on a Flea, and a Q4. The Flea is nice, but nowhere near the cool factor of a Q4. If you want a Modulus 4 with one pup, get a Q4 Sweetspot.

19. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    a little late but...
    i have a black modulus flea 5 with one pup, and it's the only bass i've played that has as perfect an action and as much tonal variety as my alembic spoiler. (i'm sure there are many others, i just haven't played them). i recently had it shipped from usa to italy with my household goods, 2 month sea voyage, and when it arrived it was still in perfect tune. if that doesn't say something about the graphite neck's stability i don't know what does. man, my alembic requires major truss rod adjustments every time the weather changes.
    i have no complaints at all about this bass, and it looks pretty cool too.