Flea copycats

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Unemploid, Aug 24, 2019.

1. What bassists are out their with a similar style to flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers?

2. I think he is so unique (aesthetically and how he behaves on stage at least) that there are none really similar to him. Sonically, he's perhaps not quite as distinctive but he did have an effect and influence on a lot of the bands of the nu metal era. I remember quite a few players from that era who seemed to bring a bit of Flea's funky aggression to their style. They were perhaps the first generation of musicians in a big, new rock genre following RHCP becoming huge to really bear the influence of Flea's style.

3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Just go to a Guitar Center on any weekend. That’s where you’ll find the copy cats. As far as ‘in a similar style’, that’s entirely different.

JeroB666 and John Hofner like this.
  4. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue Guest

Sep 29, 2018
    I really can’t think of a single one. He is an original, and he is very difficult to emulate.

5. Pat Harris

Pat Harris

Nov 17, 2006
    Brighton, MI
    I don't really hear many/any players where I think, "That sounds like Flea." I definitely hear players where I think, "That sounds like Larry Graham or Bootsy Collins," and without those two pioneers, I don't think we would be talking about Flea.

Bo0tsy and JimmyM like this.
  6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...if you like Flea-
    Muzz Skillings from Living Colour
    P-Nut from 311

Gang Of Four may be somebody you might like, too.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I think we would...Flea just wouldn't slap :D

Pat Harris likes this.
  8. Chrishi87

Chrishi87

Aug 17, 2010
    Bremen
    Futoshi Uehara from Maximum the Hormone. Awesome Band. J-Rock Metal.
    Played the Flea Bass and even has the same Tattoos as the Chili Peppers.

[​IMG]

Unemploid likes this.
  9. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I agree with what's been said about Flea's uniqueness. Check out Norwood Fisher from Fishbone, and Rob Trujillo's playing in Infectious Grooves.

10. teh-slb

teh-slb

Sep 21, 2018
    Berlin

/ducks

Reedt2000 likes this.