Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flea covers finger wounds with crazy glue!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Broach_insound, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I have heard on many different occasions that from Flea slapping SO MUCH and SO HARD that he has a rather large hole or crater in the side of his thumb which inhibits his slapping so he fills it with crazy glue.
    just thought id share :smug:

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    There was a concert VHS I had from the Mother's Milk tour that showed him doing that. he'd fill, wrap with tape then glue some more.

3. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    eeeew that must be weird feeling!!

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Not so much for thumb holes, but I've done it. People make it out to be a freaky thang, but Doctors have been known to do it as well on patients.

5. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    It would be cool if you get get like a metal implant thingy in your thumb that would last foooooooorever

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont see how it can make a hole, persay, maybe an indentation though?

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Also, if you do cause an indentation, or "hole"... you are doing something wrong. Broach: I've actually played slap with a metal ring on my thumb. It's kinda cool, gets a different sound. Closest thing I can think of to the terminator thumb you speak of.

8. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Dude...

The thread topic made me think of something else when I read it...lol

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've been known to superglue my fingers back together for gigs. I work at a hardware store/lumberyard so there are plenty of opportunities to cut up my fingers. Cut almost 200 keys in a day, and that wreaks havoc on the hands. Long story short, my fingertips were so raw that I picked up a four pack of Krazy Glue for my fingers. LOL

10. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    It's made for the medical industry. It's nothing more than a form of cyanoacrylate glue (krazy glue). There have been some comparisons between Krazy Glue and Dermabond for toxicity, and it's pretty much a scratch.

If you look at the chemical name, you'll see cyanide. This, of course, is why toxicity was in question in the first place...but it turns out it's actually no biggie.

Perhaps without knowing it, Flea is actually doing something that's very common in the medical industry.

11. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
  12. Thanks for that link Marcus. I've always wondered how much of that was truth vs. urban legend. Now I know.

Sometimes my hands start to fall apart when I pack a lot of parachutes day after day. I don't mess around, I use the good stuff from a hobby shop. It's not cheap, but it works better than "krazy glue". Medium thickness "jet" has kept me packing more than once!

13. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i have defintely done this as well. ihavent had to in awhile, but anytime i get a blister that opens up, or just a cut in general.

14. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    It's quite common in the rockabilly/psychobilly doghouse-slapper circles.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    even if you're not cut or bleeding, it makes a super instant callus.

16. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I have this leather thumb ring that I got from a fair and I tried slaping with it and it sounded just like my thumb beut it didnt feel right because it wasnt level with the rest of my thumb