1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flea envelope filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mattbass97, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Hello! I know this has been covered a lot but i cant find exactly what i want to know im just in need of a few opinions.

Listening to fleas spontaneous jamming sessions and the envelope part i fall in love with the filter he uses which is the fx25.

Listening to the slap interlude solo thingy in power of equality i again love the sound of the filter he uses of which of dont know what he uses.

And the exact same for the epic solo in coffee shop.

Now i have heard about q trons and fx25's and all sorts but is there one pedal that will cut through in a band mix preserve low end and most importantly produce a sound similar to all 3 of those tracks?

Budget wise its around the price of an MXR Bass envelope filter.

Options ive found but havent had proper opinions on are the mxr envelope filter the ebs bass iq and the fx25.

If possible could you help me and give opinions on what envelope filter would best suit me and the mini criteria which is pretty standard now a days!

Thanks a lot!

2. Ive owned plenty and out of all of them the Moog MF101 is the one that stayed, for the sound I'm trying to achieve. But it sounds like what your in need of is the mxr or the qtron, and Im almost positive 3Leaf will definitely have something you like, do research, find the one thats right for you.

3. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    My dream would be to own a gr2 I know I love the sound of it after countless hours of research, I guess my next option would be to try the mxr one I tried it at Christmas I'll try it again refresh my memory on it or possibly wait to a second hand gr2 to come about! Thanks anyways!

4. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Flea used bassballs on one of the tracks from one hot minute I'm pretty sure. I've got one, does the sir psycho sexy filter tone quite nicely. It also cuts through like a knife. I also have the fx25, its a great pedal, but only cuts through the mix if you are using compression, it has a bit of gain loss.

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I like what Sensei Bongomania says about the FX25 here.

6. Pretty sure Flea used a qtron on Sir Psycho Sexy, but I may be wrong, and Ive owned the MXR its a good filter in my opinion, you can do things to the overall effect that others cant do but the GR2 is a whole other level.. Now thats a great filter

7. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Just picked up a Wonderlove. Great filter.

8. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

Flea also used a Boss FT-2 at one point, but I can't say on which he did. The FT -2 is a nice sounding filter, but a rather subtil one. The MXR has more possibilities.

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Flea has used a number of different filters.

Power of Equality was an FX25

Coffee Shop was a Bassballs

Sir Psycho was a Mutron with dying batteries

Live he's long used a Qtron but also the FX25 and the Boss Autowah

I think the Wonderlove would be a good filter for covering a pretty wide range of tones.

10. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Why doesn't the Aguilar filter twin get any love when it comes to filter discussions?

I think it is way wetter than the mxr filter. I don't listen to RHCP but I'm sure it can do it.

11. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Actually, I'm pretty sure Coffee Shop was Boss Autowah, not Bassballs. I can get a pretty similar tone using Cry Baby 105Q.

12. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    You're right. Flea said he wrote it using the Bassballs but recorded it using the Boss.

http://rhcprock.free.fr/fleamalandrone.html

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    The boss pedal will be the FT-2 in case anyone was wondering.

They use to be quite desirable and rare but I see them coming up for £30 now