Flea...ESPN Awards

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BassPlayerGush, Apr 16, 2002.

1. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    Did anyone just watch the EXPN '02 Action Sports and Music Awards? The chili peppers won the artist contribution award (i missed that), and they closed the show at the end. They played a crazy soloing parrallel universe then went into give it away, but unfortunetly it cut short because they had to go off air.:mad:

does anyone know what flea was playing??? it looked like a modulus flea bass body, but the neck was different. it looked like the headstock was wood...is it possible he changed the neck? he sounded great no matter what bass he was playing.

im totally stoked about "By the Way". i read on yahoo news that it should be out in july or august...anyone smell a tour coming up?!?:D
  2. DareDevil

Feb 17, 2002
    Southport, FL
    when did it come on, what did it come on and when are the reruns?
  3. came on last night, on ESPN, and repeats will probably run this weekend either on ESPN or the Deuce.

I totally loved the performance too. Great stuff. I am PUMPED for their new stuff.
  4. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I just checked out some pics at the official website for the ESPN action sports and music awards.

Flea was just playing the red, white, and blue Flea bass that he has been playing for a while now. The headstock is white, but the neck is graphite. You can see this from the back.

The only difference is that it has many more stickers and crud on it now.

I couldn't really make out his rack or cabs clearly in the pics. It looks like they're the same as usual (Mesa/Boogie cabs, GK 2000RB amps).

I noticed Flea is still using that POS, the Boss ODB-3, on his pedalboard. He really should switch it in for a DieselDawg.

I like Anthony's mustache.

Oooo!!! They have video clips of the performance!

I'm going to go watch. If I notice anything new, I'll check back with you guys.
  5. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Forgive me, folks, for I am about to go insane for a few minutes here.

For more than ten years, Flea has been using Mesa/Boogie cabs almost exclusively. Mostly a few stacks of Roadready 2x15s and 2x10s. For some shows he would use 4x10s over the 2x15s instead of 2x10s.

Flea was not using Mesa/Boogie cabs at the ESPN awards.

Perhaps he was just borrowing the cabs for some reason. However, if this is a permanent change, then I just witnessed the most significant change to Flea's amp setup since he upgraded from GK 800RBs to 2000RBs in 1997 .

I know, I am a total dork, it's just that these kind of things excite me.

And now the moment you have all been waiting for.

What cabs is Flea now using?

2 Gallien Krueger 410RBHs over 2 115RBHs.

Tomorrow I am going to call GK to discuss this landmark event.
  6. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
  7. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    OMG!!! I just had an idea!!!

At the end of "Give it Away", Anthony falls down near Flea's pedalboard and his head is right next to the ODB-3.

If someone could get a hold of a quality recording of the performance, then we could take a look at the settings of the ODB!!! You can see the knobs but Realvideo isn't clear enough!
  8. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Did you see him do that flip with his bass? Jesus criminy, I was scared that neck was going to get cracked in half, but he landed it! Phew:D

PS. Have you seen in the new GC mailing how they have all the stars saying stupid little blips about companies? I'm pretty sure Flea is in there for GK
  9. Never been sure if I'd want to see them live, but now I think they sound pretty good, so hopefully I'll get the chance sometime. I liked the "Sweet Leaf" tag at the end of "Give It Away." Such a rockin' song.
  10. STK

Apr 27, 2001
    I do believe Flea was using a GK2001RB.
  11. Bassist519

Bassist519 Guest

Feb 6, 2003
    Albany,New York
    yea that was awesome when flea flipped i was like AHHH not the bass...NOT HIM! but yea luckily he landed lol
  12. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    OH MY GOD they are so past their prime.
  13. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Yeh, thats why they are one of the most well known bands in the world and sell out an 80,000 person show in less than a day:rolleyes:
  14. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    What do concert sales, or record sales for that matter, have anything to do with whether they are past their prime or not? The Rolling Stones are WAY past their prime and they had the biggest grossing tour of 2003.

Heed your sig. :rolleyes:
  15. como_kenyatta

Sep 2, 2003

I can see his settings....the first is just shy of half way, the second knob is either full on or full off, and the other two are both almost halfway.

That damn Flea....some of those fills are just GOLD.
  16. Skian88

Oct 14, 2003
    USA maine
    I love the red hot chili peppers, i'm only 15 and my friends like them, so they are getting lots of the young crowd. I've been playing the bass for almost a year and a half, fleas bass is craxy in those songs. I just learned how to play the aeroplane bass solo and its sweet
  17. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you're kidding, right?

if anything with Frusciante coming back, its amazing the new direction they're taking.

from pfunk/ska of the early albums, to the arena rock of the mid '90s, to the more introspective california dreamin' sound they're doing now, its remarkable how john literally gave the band a much needed creative shot in the arm.

instead of resorting to alot of the Zappa meets funkified guitar driven stuff of the past, John goes ahead and starts introducing old school "Hit Factory" like songwriting sensibilities and Phil Spector "wall of sound" production. something that poser Navarro couldnt possibly do. :rolleyes:

btw, i just got the Slane Castle DVD that miccheck is referring to, and watching it, you'll see the gents are in very fine form. maybe its the sense of urgency by having to play to such a massive audience, but the gents never let you or them down, and really know how to play up the inherent drama of the mostly Frusciante penned songs to "hair-raising" heights.

a heckuva lot better than that sad "Off the Map" DVD, where they're literally half asleep for the whole show, and the only high points were actually on the bonus features with "Search & Destroy" & "Parallel Universe".

but the SC DVD is IMHO, the band at its newest peak. "Funky Monks", the companion video to "Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic" might show the height of a band's *popular* success and excesses, but the SC DVD shows a band really hitting their artistic stride and showing they can back it up with a kick @ss show to boot.
  18. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
  19. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    i think im magical... i learned that solo after 4 or so months of playing