Flea fans help me out.................

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jasnewsted, Feb 19, 2001.

1. Jasnewsted

Apr 1, 2000
    I'm a rookie when it comes to Flea and Chilli peppers playing.
    But I've just borrowed a record ( blood sugar sex magik), from the drummer in my band. And I was wondering does Flea slap on the song "Sir psycho sexy"?

And how difficult is this song to play??

what is the 3 most difficult Chilli peppers songs to play?

You don't have to answer all the questions. just answer, Ok?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Why do you want to know which songs are the hardest?

BSSM is a good record, but I find Mother's Milk more exciting bass-wise.

Will C.:cool:
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    On "Sir Psycho Sexy"-
    Flea is using a from the '70s Mu-tron "funk box".
    If you ever use a "funk box" effect(like the Mu-Tron, Q-Tron, or whatever other effect-du jour is out there), be aware that your PLUCKING hand's attack has everything to do with gettin' that "flanged" tone. Pluck sorta "hard" somewhere over the neck pickup. Too, I think the pickup(s) need to be wide open.
    Anyway, here's MY take on the main groove/figure to "Sir Pyscho Sexy"-
    That's the rhythm; here's the notes-
    (Anyway, I'm sure that tune has been TAB'd out somewhere...right).

Also, IMO, it's not too difficult(considering), though, I have been playing that kinda staccato Funk/R&B for quite awhile now.
    BTW, other tunes from BSSM worth delving into(IMO)-
    "Funky Monks"
    "Mellowship Slinky In B Minor"
    "Apache Rose Peacock"
    ...all of those are about finger funk(not slapped).
  4. Gel

Mar 26, 2000
    Tauranga, New-Zeland
    I find the bass in BSSM much more musical. In MM, there are a few good songs, but Flea jacks-off on a lot of them and it kinda screws it because of that.

IMHO, naturally.
  5. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    sup rookie :D

if you want some challenging Peppers' songs, try nailing "Stone Cold Bush" (from Mother's Milk - the solo is insanely difficult), "Aeroplane" (from One Hot Minute - took me *months* to learn that properly), and "Coffee Shop" (also from One Hot Minute, the outro solo that Flea plays is almost impossible to recreate - dunno where he gets that speed ..)

anyway, they're definitely 3 of the hardest Peppers songs, but there's definitely more. rock on, man.
  6. lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    well he doesnt slap in sir psycho. he uses an envelope filter pedal of sotrs for the effect. its easy but a fun song to play. yeah coffe shop is a lot of fun also, my old band always userd to cover it that and stone cold bush. :) they are fun to play. fast and funky and slppy. but try out transcending from one hot minute thats a good one alos. alot of people say they dontlike one hot minute that much. i luv it however. there are alot of good songs ont hat album. but anyways that is my opinion.

7. Jasnewsted

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks for your help, buddyboys!!!!!
    (love this forum)

I'll keep on practicing,
    one day I'll be the best Bass-player ever!!
    Remember my name; Eirik from Norway ! ! !

8. He doesn't slap on sir psycho because it's on the video 'funky monks' when they're recording it.

I'd have to say that none of the chili songs are hard to play, It's just some of them are very long and it's a bitch to remember all the variations. All of 'one hot minute' is like that because i remember flea saying that he just turned up and improvised on most the songs. When they play them live he improvises again and it's always different so i don't think even he knows what he played on 'one hot minute' sometimes.
  9. Mothers Milk was the first Peppers cd I got and it's still one of my favorites. Some of their older stuff can be a little over flashy and not as musical maybe, but I guess it depends how you look at it. Knock Me Down is still one of my favorite songs of theirs, and Pretty Little Ditty is a great instrumental, and good bassline.

To answer one of the questions of the subject, Right on Time (from Californication) is kind of hard, mostly for the part in the middle with the constant 16th notes. My Lovely Man is a fun song to play; not too difficult, but not entirely easy either. Aeroplane and Coffee Shop like someone else already mentioned, are also good. Oh yeah, look for a song called 'Good God' on napster or anywhere else you can find it (they only play it live occasionally in between songs), that one is pretty tough, and flea plays it insanely fast sometimes.
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I'm tellin' ya, anybody brought up in the Disco era will eat that rhythm for lunch. :D
    It all comes down to plucking hand technique/muscle memory for that sorta figure...IMO.
  11. it's not so hard because it's fast, but from skipping the strings back and forth. I'm not sure if this is how it's supposed to be, but I think it's played like root root octave octave repeated over and over again, so you have to pluck one string twice, jump up two strings and pluck twice, then back down to the root and alternate that motion back and forth very fast. Or you could play the root once, and play the octave 3 times, which is a lot easier to me, and sounds almost the same.
  12. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...or, that same vibe can be achieved as such(my preferred method)-
    Root-Ghosted Note-Octave-Octave

The downbeats are played on the lower string, the "&"s and "a"s are played on the higher string. The ghosted notes are where the "e"s of the beat fall(the "x"s).
  13. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Right On Time is one of my favorites and easiest song to play. Its not hard to play the song at all none of the chili peppers songs are really hard. Maybe a few. On Right on Time even though I have 4 years experience, I think he plays root, root, octave, root, root, octave. Well try that. Thats how I play it. It might not fit the time but it does fit in there. And I have a question on Me and My Friends. Does Flea slap more like thumb the part where the guitar solo is played or right before it. Cause I think he does. Its just that its had to tell with the drums. I don't know though for sure.
  14. On right on time I am sure that he plays the root-root-octave-octave. If you dont play it that way it doesnt sound right. I also have the tab book because I really like some of the riffs from that c.d. I like to play Emit Remmus alot, and some of their older stuff. It is fun because it actually challenges my speed and can keep me on my toes. I was wondering about the song Parallel Universe, do you think that Flea uses a pick? I know it is ver fast, but I thought that I read somewhere that he used one, but I thought that was wrong because that doesnt seem like Flea. I know that I can only play the first part right now without breaking up, but can play the whole song with a pick.
  15. lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    hes uses a pick. i read in a magazine article that he uses a pick. but i htink its only on the album that he uses a pick. he doesnt normally use one, in his video he sez that he only uses one if there is a pick nearby.

16. I'm with Gel: BSSM is the highpoint of Fleas playing so far... the whole album is a work of art. Timeless yet infinitley ahead of it's time and unquestionably retro... and the production is true genius.

Right On Time is a beetch to play, took me a hell of time top get that right on time... Ha, Ha, Boom, Boom etc...

Stone Cold Bush solo: the 1st half is difficult cause of all the accents on the notes, the 2nd half is nice and easy to play, just octaves and bass notes on the E string.

...Fleas extra hard stuff: nobody weird like me... the widdely bass riff after the explosion... it's a real finger buster!

Sir Psycho Sexy is easy to play, but to get it sounding like Flea, his groove and feel on that track is immense.

It is my favourite Peppers track,,, soooo funky it hurts.
  17. ...in right on time Flea definitely plays root,root,octave,octave...
  18. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    without a dout the uplift mofo party plan is THE CHILLI PEPPERS best album. its the most mature one thats still got the locker room mentality that made them so cool .the chili peppers where a PUNK funk band thats THIER sound
    the earliest stuff is where its most distilled but the first album is half done and hellel isnt there the secound one has the wrong drummer (but he turned them on to the meters rejuvenation album witch you can hear all over that record)its also got gorge clinton producing and the horny horns.
    which brings us to uplift mofo you got

the ONLY album with the guys who first played together in high school on it
    no real outside influence with production givin them their own sound
    enough maturing as musicians to give the strength and Individualism
    ditto for song writing

just so you guys know I first saw the chillis play supporting the freaky styley album they played the rat in boston. flea took a crap on the stage

I didnt think to much of mother milk but blood sugar is a great album no dout

I just think a change happened in the band as they grew as people that I allways felt as a detriment to THIER sound
  19. scubahood427

Apr 13, 2000
    well first of, right on time - this took me a good six months of playing before it just finally clicked one day. it IS played root root octive octive if it's played any other way, it just isnt the song

in parallel universe, flea uses a pick on the album, but live he uses fingers. i dont know how the HELL he does it seeing that he only uses 2 fingers, hes amazing i guess. but if youdon't want to use a pick to play it, you should look into thumbstyle. you could play faster than that song and not get tired at all

in my opinion, the best chili peppers album is bssm. every single song on there is great. mothers milk is also a great album, and on one hot minute, listen to walkabout. its not really too funky or anything, its just a great groove. my favorite chilipeppers song