Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flea maybe??(as replacement fro Entwistle)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by blackmetal27, Jun 28, 2002.

1. do u think flea has what it takes if he was asked not that he is going to be. he might be a little ummm wild though. flea is an other amazing bassist though i have to say.

2. If you are talking about replacing Entwistle, I don't really think so.

No disrespect, he is a great bassist, I just think there would be no way it would fit. The tone wouldn't work, the look wouldn't work, and the chance of stage antics wouldn't work.

3. Also, I heard Pino Palladino already got the job.

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Flea...replace Entwistle? Not a chance in hell! That's two really different styles...both musically and personally.

I'd give it 2 songs before Pete got tired of watching Flea's usual stage demeanor and he just came over and kicked him off the stage.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This has nothing to do with Technique. Off to misc.

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Flea???

LMAO! :D

7. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i think flea by far has the skill, but yea his demeanor would probably not get along. In their day the who were about as wierd and crazy as it got, maybe more so that flea, but they are just too different people. I dont even know if i could enjoy playing with flea, hes strange, but a bad*** none the less.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Wow. This is too much, really. Has jazzbo seen this yet? Adam? Is your tongue bleeding?

9. ummm, no, but don't think flea is too wild, the who were about as wild as it gets in their day and i think his antics might just bring out the old who again. But I don't think he could do it just because he has such a different approach and style of playing from the ox. It just wouldn't fit right. I think John Paul Jones would be a nice replacement though, but he plays so many insane instruments that i think pete would just get annoyed and go over and kick him in the head.

10. Flea couldn't even fill Pino Palladino's shoes, let alone The Ox.

~Ad

11. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    For the sake of style and musically filling a similar role, I could see Billy Sheehan or someone everyone seems to have forgotten about...Chris Squire (of Yes).

Flea is way overrated and would not IMHO be a good replacement.

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    This MUST be some kind of joke...

...as someone pointed out, Flea isn't qualified to replace Entwistle's replacement!

13. sleazylenny

sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    No disrespect intended, Phat, but if ANYBODY'S overrated, it's Sheehan.

But you are right, the idea of Flea replacing the Ox is silly. I think JPJ is right on the mark.

14. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I don't think anyone could replace Entwistle. They need to get a bassist for gigs, so it's matter of who suits their style.

I think it would be better if they would tour as The Who Revisited or Townshend&Daltrey or something like that, they're only a half band now. If I would choose, I would call them "The Who without John Entwistle".

15. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    That Chris Squire idea is pretty wild. I don't think that would be likely. I remember reading that John Entwistle was the major inspiration for Chris.

Then again, I wouldn't think of Pino as a good fit either.

But FLEA??? Jeeeez, comeon.:rolleyes:

16. JOhnk

JOhnk

Mar 31, 2001
    burlington, vt
    I dunno.. Everyone here is treating flea like he's a zombie who exists only to slap and dance. Listen to him talk. Read his interviews. He has alot of respect for his elders.

Flea is definitely not my first choice for a replacement, but hypothetically, if the who were to use him, i'm sure he wouldn't put on his normal freakshow. He might even cop entwistle's style a bit... who knows. Its my strong opinion, that if he had to, he could.

my preference would be chris squire, by the way.

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Flea? Townshend once got so mad at Entwistle that he belted Entwistle across the head with his guitar. That was once, in 40 years together. Townshend's a perfectionist, and believes in improvisation...feeding off one another on stage. Flea's too wrapped up in his crazy antics to be able to develop that level of interplay. He'd get belted more than Entwistle did, all in the only night he'd ever see the stage.

The problem with Chris Squire is that he doesn't excel in improvisation. He could bring the sound into a new direction, but I don't think it'd be where The Who should go...IMO.

Honestly, in a way, it'd have to be some weird combination of Jack Bruce and John Paul Jones...

18. Ozico

Ozico

May 5, 2002
    Marlboro NY
    Flea and the chilis are known for improvising, so I don't get what you mean about him not fitting into the improvisational aspect of The WHO

19. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I agree. Billy Sheehan has never really turned my crank either. I was just thinking in terms of sound and chops required.

20. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Could be. But remember, Yes started way back in the late 60's. Squire my have taken some cues from Entwistle as far as the sound of his bass, but I think they were more contemporaries than anything else.

Neither Sheehan nor Squire totally fit as Billy is purely fingers and Chris is almost exclusively pick, where as John constantly used both.