flea : other side --> how does he do that ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by whitehouse, Jan 27, 2002.

1. in the Red Hot Chilli Peppers song "other side", flea begins with double notes...how does he take the high A with the F in the bass ??
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA

Maybe your hearing both the guitar and bass and confusing it for just bass?
  3. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Betcha JT can do it :cool:... All those strings must be good for something! ;) :D
  4. you could be right..
    the funny thing is..I can make my F.N.A. make such a sound, that I can play the guitar and bass at the same time (if I only could play the double notes :p )
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    yeah I don't think that is the bass playing that note. Other side has a pretty simple bass part.. nothing special.. not 5 octave reaches or anything.. flea doesn't have a 21 string bass like JT :)
  6. Just kiddin right?!?:eek: :confused: :rolleyes:
  7. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    otherside, is really simple bass, pretty nice though but nothing complicated like you mentioned, double string things? i think no;)

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    Thats the cool thing about that album and about Flea and John Frusciante's playing style, they match their tone just right so that it sounds like one instrument playing the bass and treble simultaneously. It fools a lot of poeple.
  9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    you need a doublenecked beast like JT :D
  10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Well, he had 1/3 too much. Actually its a 14 string;):p:D
  11. bassdave

Jan 31, 2002
    Toronto, Canada
    im pretty sure wat u are hearing is the guitar and the bass
    i have the red hot chili peppers - californication book, and it doesnt show flea plays wat u are describing
  12. I have already admit that I was wrong :D

but it sounded so "together" ! awesome !
    and It would be more awesome if I could play that part totally on bass ! :)
  13. with doublestops i can play something that sounds like otherside (guitar&bass together) , the only difference is the bass line