Flea playing a Fender Jazz in the new GK ad???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, Oct 9, 2005.

1. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    Is Flea done with Modulus?
  2. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    thought he had been...
  3. I knew he was supposed to have a prized '61 Jazz, but thought he was still a Modulus endorsee.
  4. lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses, GHS Strings
    I saw him play this show called Amsterjam in NY in August. He played a jazz throughout the whole show and it sounded amazing.
  5. parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    I saw the RHCP in July here at Las Vegas. Flea played a Jazz bass for at least half of the show. The rest of it he played the stickered Modulus. Except on the last encore song he played TRUMPET and John played bass. I would have to say I almost liked when he played the Jazz better(tone wise) but when Flea plays it's all great!
    You know It's a funny thing when you can say that one of the greatest bassists you ever saw live played while wearing a propeller beanie, His "tighty-whities", red socks and lime green sneakers but it's the truth!
  6. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I'd be pretty happy if he ditched his signature Modulus, in my opinion, it only sounded decent when slapped, on the studio recordings and live.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Caught me off guard too. I'd still like a Flea 5 some day, but you can't beat a Jazz bass IMO.
  8. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I was wondering, what other bases has he used other than the Modulus Sig, the MM Stingray and the Jazz? I swear some of the pictures I have of him have some other basses in them.

Also, a bit off topic but anyway, before he used GK, he used Mesa right? If so, what gear, I think I saw a 1516 cab on stage for the Californication Tour but there were loads of Mesa cabs (old style).
  9. Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005

That just makes too much sense to me.

MM through GK will alwayds be the flea sound to me though. He did used a Wal on 'Blood Sugar...' (see below), though I'm not sure to what extent. That is his best recorded sound as well as the best Chili records - and one of the best rock records of all time.

He used a Wal on 'Blood Sugar...', though I'm not sure to what extent. You can see him playing it in 'Funky Monks' documentary - a must see for any fan. His sound on that disk kills and is very jazz-like while being 'active' sounding too.

i know that was a while ago now - i really don't know what he's using now other than the Modulus (or is that Moduli? ;) ).
  10. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    So it seems that the man has finally grabbed a serious bass! :D
  11. That's interesting, I'd like to see a pic of that ad. Not that I can't see Flea with a jazz, but I'd definitely like to hear him take on the vintage Fender sound after hearing him through active basses all these years. He sounds great with a P on the first Mars Volta full-length.
  12. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    im sure on blood sugar he played a spector too??

i know he used a 5string Stingray on under the bridge video/recording??
  13. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    He played a Jazz bass on the Rising Low video for his song they showed as well. Think it was rainbow or american flag or something else kinda odd like that.
  14. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Actually, Flea used a Wal for most of BSSM, except maybe three songs (I think The Reighteous and the Wicked, under the Bridge and another one). "Aeroplane" on One Hot Minute is a Stingray, the rest was recorded with an Alembic Epic.
    I think most of Mother's Milk and Freaky Styley was recorded with a Spector. I like his Wal sound best and his Spector sound the least as it was sometimes a bit on the thin-sounding side.
  15. Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005

I was pretty sure he used the Wal on most of it, but did not want to misspeak.
  16. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    The man has many basses (including an upright) and can do what he wants. I personally liked the sound of his Stingray through the 800RB and Mesa 2x15.
  17. i'm betting you've never played a modulus.

that's too bad.
  18. I suppose his amp, production, and EQ have absolutely nothing to do with his tone... not to mention his technique.

Whatever. I dig Modului, Fenders, and EB/MM's so more power to him for trying something different.
  19. I wouldn't be suprised if it was because of bad experiences with Modulus themselves. I have a Flea 5 but because of the lack of customer service Modulus shows, I'd never buy a new Modulus again. Just a thought.
  20. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Nope the last recording where he played a Spector was on "Mother's milk". ON BSSM he played the Wal on almost the every tune, using the Musicman five string on songs like "Funky Monks" and "The righteous and the wicked" where he needed a low B string.

Although he did use the Musicman in the video for "Under the bridge" it is most likely that he used the Wal for recording that song.