Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flea playing a... SPECTOR?!?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, Jan 27, 2006.

1. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I just found this video of the chili peppers playing castles made of sand (mothers milk era) live and flea is playing what appears to be a spector bass. I never knew he had ever played spector, did u guys?

2. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    Yeah. He also played the Spector in the video for "Knock me down".

3. yeah, he's played silvertone, musicman, modulus, wal, spector and alembic, from what ive found out he used his alembic epic for all of one hot minute except for aeroplane

he mainly used the spector in the last days of hillel and the early days with john

4. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    hmm, doesent look right flea playing a spector..

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    He also plays a Spector in the "Fight like a Brave" video, I think.

6. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    It seems Flea made the same mistake of dying his hair red that I did......it goes pink.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Back when the Chili's were cool :) 19 years ago.... man do I feel old! I saw them for the first time about 16 years ago now, but a lot of the magic I'd heard on the early cassettes was gone. BSSM was the last disc I bought from them.... Rubin killed the band

Nick, his hair was regularly pink, red and/or green.

8. britrit

britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    London
    Yeah, I've seen him with a spector before.

James Hart - I kind of agree, but I also sort of like the newer stuff too. Supposedly the new album will have a bit of their older funk stuff.

9. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Funny you mention that. I know a guy who says he saw them when they were first starting out and said that they were AWFUL. Worst band he'd ever heard and live.

Either it was completely false or they cleaned up.:eyebrow:

10. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    yeah there new album (arcadium stadium, released 8th of may) will be there heaviest stuff they've done, but anthony says one of there songs is alot funkier than anything theyve done for along time, i'm not sure if theres more

yeha i can see how they sounded awful when they started out, just read anthonys aotabiography

11. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I noticed the Ampeg SVT-CL and 810E instead of GK also.