1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flea plays REAL bass ;) : VID

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Sorry if it's been posted before, I remeber in the "instructional" vid, flea said he'd be working on upright... must be it took him this long to gig out on it... whenever that was.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Holy cow. He's not too bad,

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's what I was thinking... he and chad had a tight groove goin' on and the vocals are spot on... I don't mean to sound anti-Chilis, but would this be a recording played while they sync to it... the only reason I question is because Kedis has some decent sounding vocals on this. He was taking lessons last I heard...

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Anybody know how to download YouTube videos instead of trying to stream them.

I have a fast broadband connection, yet YouTube videos always seems to break up for me.

5. What I do is just hit pause and wait for the entire (or most) of the video to load, and then hit play.

But if you want to download the videos, there's a little javascript thing you can download or something.

6. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    thats awesome!

7. rylche

rylche

Oct 27, 2005
    Singapore
    awesome! really love his playing on this song.

8. Pretty impressive. You know, you see bands playing stuff like this on Spanish-language TV all the time, but the bassist is usually playing some incredibly expensive sixer despite the fact that he only uses the E, A, and D strings. :rolleyes:

9. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    that instructionla DVD was from the early 90's, so he's had a long time to practice on the upright. He's a good musician, maybe not flashy like marcus, stanley or vic, but he's certainly one of the better rock bassists.

10. Yea, the vocals sound identical to the cd. Still, its cool seeing flea play an upright.

11. lol check out the thread at the bottom of the page

12. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    yeah i've seen this before, it was on johnathon ross, it does sound like there not really playing, it sounds to much like the cd for the chili peppers, Flea john and chad always do differant variations and change solos etc, and here they r doin everything like the cd, i remember seeing them a few times not even trying to pretend to play there instruments when they had to mime when hillel was in the band, they just ran around and Flea was pretending to play bass with a bowling pin lol, but they were younge and daft back then, they probs cant be bothered and just agreed to mime now....that is if they r miming

13. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    The guitar tone is different from the album, and frusciante makes a small bif in one of his runs. I think it's real, but i could be wrong.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I couldn't hear any bass, real or otherwise - just loud guitar and drums.....:meh: - maybe the odd note here or there that could have been any non-descript bass guitar sound - from this, it was hardly worth the effort, if he has bothered to learn DB properly..? :eyebrow:

15. clayton

clayton

Jun 26, 2005
    I think the song is played live, tehy would have to be extremely good a miming...besides, the peppers have always been a very good live band.

btw, from what cd is that song?

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Are you using good speakers/headphones? Because computer speakers usually don't cut it. That said, he is a tad buried. Upon second listen, it DOES sound like an ultra compressed upright bass sound, really studio sounding.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Dull song - dull playing IMO...:meh:

18. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Oddly enough, it's from "by the way."

19. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    it must just be your speakers, i can hear it perfectly clear, nice song tho, i didnt no he played this on double bass until i saw this vid, and yeah its from btw, an album which doesnt seem to be liked much round here

20. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Yeah all his sound is coming from the pickups and amp if it's not a studio cut, doesn't really sound that uprightish.