Flea plays with a pick!!?!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SKB, Jan 12, 2002.

1. SKB

SKB Guest

Yep its true, i just got RHCP off the map, their live concert DVD. I didnt know that Flea plays Parallel Universe with a pick. It surprised me when i saw it since hes mr.slap bass.:eek:
  2. yup, he does that on the record too...he used to play with a pick when he was in the band "Fear"...
  3. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Even with a pick, I was very impressed with how Flea, Chad, and John were able to stay so tight with each other for an entire 4 min.+ song with no breaks in the beat. Their arms must get tired.
  4. Yeah I guess it took him quite a while to get back into the pick using vibe. You can even watch him in the Instructional video attempting to use a pick but not getting a real good sound out of it. It's best to be able to play both ways for when the song calls for it.
  5. JOhnk

Mar 31, 2001
    burlington, vt
    i've got the vhs of off the map.. and although i havent watched it all yet, i dont see parallel universe on the song list on the back.. spooky, no?

you can also see him using a pick in the "my friends" video, where they're in the studio.

another useless tidbit; in the "spontaneous adventures in jamming" video, he claims to only use a pick when theres one in his hand.

my synopsis: lay off, he's flea.
  6. just a thought but............can any of you guys play parrallel universe without a pick????

i can for about 20sec's and then i am done for..

(please dont take this the wrong way :D )
  7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    chris, same thing happened to me when i played parallel w/o a pick (that was when i was vehemently opposed to those "plastic tools of satan").

for more "flea uses a pick? ***!?" moments, watch the "funky monks" video/dvd. he gets a really cool sound out of the wal playing aggressively with a pick (i think he was playing his impressive line for "sikamikanico"...G,G,G,G,G...)
  8. i can...it hurts a little but it's very doable!
  9. SKB

SKB Guest

Hey John, Parallel Universe isnt on the vhs version.
    The Dvd has some bonus tracks, a pre-show, and interviews of them on it. Its one of the bonus tracks.
  10. I've used "Parallel Universe" to get my right hand speed/strength up. So I've learned how to play the song w/o a pick and make it sound as best as possible w/o the pick. I can do it now, not really a problem. But if we ever get around to playing it live, you can bet I'll be using my 0.80mm Dunlop. Just sounds correct, plus it's not as tiring. Which can be a big issue if you have a long set lined up..
  11. Oh, Definitely!!! especially when you have to play Pearl Jam's "In my tree" right after....
  12. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Chris Be:
    Well yeah I can play the whole song without a pick, thats how i learned how to play it. It really easy actually well for me at least. i guess thats hwy ican play triplets with two fingers and quadruplets with three fingers. but anways.....
  13. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    *tug tug tuuuuug*

whoa. careful you don't shoot yourself in the eye there, man :rolleyes:
  14. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    ok, sure yeah, it seems like you dont believe me.
  15. Is there "My Lovely Man" on the "Off The Map" video?
  16. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    silence, troll! there shall be a time and a place for your feeble protests to dry-heave from yonder gaping maw and unto my low-end tootises, but that time and place are not yet now.
    silence, silence in the house of *ToNeS*! :p
  17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    LOL, nice, tones.

I always did like them "quadruplets" myself...
  18. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    imagine glueing a pick to the side of your thumb, instant callous!!!!
  19. Its impossible to get the same tone out of playing w/o pick. So you guys are going outa your way to not use a pick and not even getting the tone that the song has??? Wow, I sure am impressed now.:rolleyes:.